MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. – The 17th-ranked Wake Forest men’s tennis team pulled out two wins during Thursday’s spring break match-ups, taking down East Tennessee State 4-3 in a five hour battle and returning just one hour later to take down Coastal Carolina 6-1 in Myrtle Beach.
Wake Forest is now 9-4 in 2009 dual match play.
In the opening contest, Wake Forest took the doubles point over ETSU but the Bucs’ No. 15 Enrique Olivares took down Cory Parr at the top of the singles lineup 6-4, 6-3 to even the match score at 1-1. The rest of the singles matches would require a third set.
ETSU’s Daniel Isaza had three match-points against David Hopkins. But Wake’s standout freshman rallied three different times to keep the Deacons in the match with a 4-6, 6-3, 7-6(8) victory. Sophomore Jonathan Wolff clinched the match with an exciting 6-7 (4), 7-6(4), 6-2 win over Charles Bottoni.
“It was our first outdoor tennis match of the season,” Wake Forest head coach Jeff Zinn said. “ETSU is a very, very good team loaded with clay court veterans. We did not take them lightly at all. The courts were extremely slow so your points lasted forever. We came through because all our conditioning work paid off. It came down to Jon Wolff’s match and after five hours the guy that Jon was playing cramped in the third set.”
Wake Forest returned to action just one hour later and defeated host school Coastal Carolina 6-1.
“This was really what our team needed,” Zinn said. “We have a really challenging match next week against a great South Carolina team. Then we head right into conference matches. Our guys know now that they can fight and pull out a great win and I think that will motivate them in upcoming matches.”
Wake Forest will return to road action on March 18, playing South Carolina in Columbia, S.C. at 2 p.m.
No. 17 Wake Forest 4, ETSU 3
No. 1 Parr/Forman (Wake) d. Olivares/Ahlgren (ETSU), 8-6
No. 2 Teraz/Bottoni (ETSU) d. Brassaux/Atkinson (Wake), 6-5 (7)(played tiebreaker at 5-all)
No. 3 Wolff/Hopkins (Wake) d. Isaza/Akser (ETSU), 8-3
No. 1 Olivares (ETSU) d. Parr (Wake) 6-4, 6-3
No. 2 Forman (Wake) d. Gille (ETSU), 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
No. 3 Teraz (ETSU) d. Atkinson (Wake), 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
No. 4 Wolff (Wake) d. Bottoni (ETSU) 6-7 (4), 7-6 (4), 6-2*
No. 5 Hopkins (Wake) d. Isaza (ETSU), 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 (8)
No.6 Ahlgren (ETSU) d. Jason Morgenstern 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
#17 Wake Forest 6, Coastal Carolina 1
1. #31 PARR, Cory (WAKE) def. PEREZ, German (COASTAL) 6-2, 6-3
2. FORMAN, Steven (WAKE) def. TZVETKOV, Plamen (COASTAL) 6-3, 6-4
3. RAMOS, Ernesto (COASTAL) def. ATKINSON, Iain (WAKE) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
4. BRASSEAUX, Andrew (WAKE) def. VLASKIN, Dmitry (COASTAL) 6-4, 4-6, 7-6
5. VOGEL, Joost (WAKE) def. SOVIC, Dorian (COASTAL) 7-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. SALMON, Carlos (WAKE) def. WITHERS, Joseph (COASTAL) 2-6, 7-5, 6-2
1. #1 FORMAN, Steven/PARR, Cory (WAKE) def. RAMOS, Ernesto/PEREZ, German (COASTAL) 8-6
2. TZVETKOV, Plamen/VLASKIN, Dmitry (COASTAL) def. ATKINSON, Iain/BRASSEAUX, Andrew (WAKE) 8-6
3. HOPKINS, David/SALMON, Carlos (WAKE) def. WITHERS, Joseph/HAIRSTON, John (COASTAL) 8-3
- www.WakeForestSports.com -