WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Wake Forest senior David Hopkins picked up a ranked win on Senior Day, but the 25th-ranked Demon Deacon men's tennis team fell to No. 59 North Carolina 5-2 on Friday at the Wake Forest Tennis Complex.
The Tar Heels (10-12, 3-6 ACC) jumped out to a 3-0 lead, and while the Demon Deacons (17-7, 6-3 ACC) fought back strong, sending the final four matches to three sets, they could not complete the comeback.
Hopkins won a three-setter over No. 44 Esben Hess-Olesen to notch his highest-ranked victory of the ACC season. After falling behind 3-1 early, Hopkins stormed back to take the first set, but Hess-Olesen fought off two match point to prevail in a tight second set tiebreaker, forcing a deciding third set. The Demon Deacon senior bounced back in the final set cruising through it to win 7-5, 6-7 (9-7), 6-3.
No. 110 Adam Lee had put the first point on the board for Wake Forest with a rollercoaster three-set victory at the fourth position. Playing against William Parker, a North Carolina senior, Lee took the first set, but dropped the second to force a decisive third set. Finding a second wind, Lee jumped out to a 5-2 lead and finished out the match with a strong service game, winning 6-4, 3-6, 6-3.
The match started outside, but rain forced the proceedings to move indoors only a few games into the doubles point. The venue change proved to be an advantage for the Tar Heels, who won quickly in doubles and then picked up singles points at No. 5 and No. 2.
After Wake Forest fought back to again put the match in the balance, North Carolina's Nelson Vick closed out No. 74 Amogh Prabhakar 4-6, 6-1, 6-2 to clinch the win for the Tar Heels
The Deacons will finish their regular season on the road against No. 24 Clemson on Sunday and then will head to the ACC Tournament next week at Cary Tennis Park in Cary, N.C.
#59 North Carolina 5, #25 Wake Forest 2
1. David Hopkins (WF) def. #44 Esben Hess-Olesen (NC) 7-5, 6-7 (7-9), 6-3
2. Brett Clark (NC) def. Danny Kreyman (WF) 7-6 (7-2), 6-3
3. Nelson Vick (NC) def. #74 Amogh Prabhakar (WF) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
4. #110 Adam Lee (WF) def. William Parker (NC) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
5. Oystein Steiro (NC) def. Jon Ho (WF) 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Stuart DePaolo (NC) def. Sam Bloom (WF) 7-5, 4-6, 7-6 (7-3)
1. #39 David Hopkins/Amogh Prabhakar (WF) vs. #90 Nelson Vick/William Parker (NC) 5-7, unfinished
2. #81 Brett Clark/Esben Hess-Olesen (NC) def. Danny Kreyman/Adam Lee (WF) 8-3
3. James Coxe/Oystein Steiro (NC) def. Sam Bloom/Jon Ho (WF) 8-6
North Carolina 10-12 (3-6 ACC); National ranking #59
Wake Forest 17-7 (6-3 ACC); National ranking #25
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (5,2,4,3,1,6)
Match suspended due to rain at 3:20
Resumed at 4:05 indoors