Wingate men blank Lenoir-Rhyne 9-0 Thursday
Hickory, N.C.----The Wingate University men’s tennis team did not drop a set Thursday afternoon, taking a 9-0 South Atlantic Conference victory over Lenoir-Rhyne University at Hickory High School. The visiting Bulldogs won two singles matches without losing a game (6-0, 6-0).
The contest was the SAC opener for both schools. Wingate improves to 4-2 overall and 1-0 in the SAC. The L-R Bears are 1-2 overall and 0-1 in the SAC. The Bulldogs will play the Northern Kentucky University Sunday in Hilton Head, S.C. The match is slated for 11:30 a.m.
Wingate junior Flavio Rathsam (Sao Paulo, Brazil) improved his career singles record to 33-3 overall with a 6-0, 6-0 victory over L-R junior Graydon Dunn (Charlotte, N.C.) at the number three singles position. Earlier in the day, Rathsam teamed with classmate Andrew Owen (Kitchener, Ontario) to defeat Lenoir-Rhyne’s Tommy Brennan (Miami, Fla.) and Aroon Khatter (Pune, India) 9-7 at the number one doubles flight.
Bulldog junior Matthew Lichtenstein (Darnestown, Md.) defeated Brennan 6-3, 6-1 in the battle of the number one players. Owen topped Khatter 6-2, 6-2 at the number two flight. Senior Braeden Patchell (Oakville, Ontario) joined Rathsam in the 6-0, 6-0 club with a similar victory over L-R junior David Jackson (Charlotte, N.C.).
Wingate will play four NCAA Division II matches during its Spring Break trip to Hilton Head. In addition to NKU, the Bulldogs will face East Stroudsburg Monday, Bloomsburg Tuesday and Kutztown Wednesday. Lenoir-Rhyne visits SAC foe Tusculum College Friday at 4 p.m.
Wingate 9, Lenoir-Rhyne 0
March 3, 2011
Hickory, N.C. (Hickory High School)
1. Matthew Lichtenstein (WIN) def. Tommy Brennan (L-R) 6-3, 6-1
2. Drew Owen (WIN) def. Aroon Khatter (L-R) 6-2, 6-2
3. Flavio Rathsam (WIN) def. Graydon Dunn (L-R) 6-0, 6-0
4. Braeden Patchell (WIN) def. David Jackson (L-R) 6-0, 6-0
5. Fernando Montemurro (WIN) def. Nate Summer (L-R) 6-1, 6-1
6. Ryan Forbes (WIN) def. Nathan Helms (L-R) 6-1, 6-4
1. Owen/Rathsam (WIN) def. Brennan/Khatter (L-R) 9-7
2. Lichtenstein/Patchell (WIN) def. Jackson/Helms (L-R) 8-0
3. Ryan Forbes/Fernando Montemurro (WU) def. Dunn/Summer (L-R) 8-6
Records: Wingate 4-2 overall (1-0 SAC), Lenoir-Rhyne 1-2 overall (0-1 SAC)