XU's Rush, Nuggets will face challenging 2012 schedule
Next: The Gold Nuggets will play their first dual match of 2012 at city rival Tulane. Start time will be 9 a.m. on Sunday, January 29. Goldring Stadium will be the venue.
Most Recently: Kourtney Howell and Nicole DeLoach lost in the doubles semifinals, and Howell in the singles quarterfinals of USTA/ITA NAIA South Regional in Atlanta. story
The Record: The Gold Nuggets were 4-18 overall and 1-0 in the Gulf Coast Athletic Conference in 2011.
Game, Set, Match and Degree: Of the 25 senior female and male student-athletes to play for Coach Alan Green, 21 received degrees from Xavier or are still enrolled.
• Five of the last seven XU women's teams qualified for the NAIA National Championship. The Gold Nuggets qualified in 2004, 2005, 2008, 2009 and 2010, and all five won first-round matches.
• XU won seven of eight Gulf Coast Athletic Conference championships (2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010). There was no GCAC title awarded in 2011.
• The Gold Nuggets were in the NAIA top 25 for 44 consecutive polls from February 2004-March 8, 2011. The streak did not include 2006, when Xavier did not compete due to the effects of Hurricane Katrina.
• Six consecutive seasons (2004-10) the Gold Nuggets were in the final NAIA top 25.
• The Gold Nuggets had a 54-dual GCAC regular-season win streak. It began after a 5-4 loss to Spring Hill on April 13, 2002, and it ended February 6, 2010, when they lost 5-4 at Mobile. Xavier has won 11 straight since Mobile, giving the Nuggets 65 victories in their last 66 GCAC regular-season duals.
• XU's women have 25 victories against NCAA Division I opponents the last nine seasons.
• Six consecutive XU teams included the GCAC Player of the Year — Dominique Bell in 2004, 2005, 2007 and 2008 and Anastesia Opata in 2009 and 2010. The GCAC had no all-conference tennis awards in 2011.
They're Ranked: XU's Carmen Nelson and Amber Brown are 14th in the South in women's doubles in the Campbell / Intercollegiate Tennis Association NAIA rankings through March 30. The sixth NAIA Women's Tennis Coaches' Top 25 Poll of the season (team rankings) was announced April 19, with Xavier out of the top 25 for the third straight poll after being 24th on March 8. The next poll will be announced May 3. story
Recruiting: Signed for the 2011-12 season are Jordyn Goody of Lake Charles, La., and Amanda Materre of Richmond, Texas. Also eligible for the Gold Nuggets in 2011-12 is Kourtney Howell of Cypress, Texas, who enrolled at XU in January after transferring from Navy.