PRINCETON, N.J. – The No. 19 Harvard men's tennis team stretched its winning streak to 10 matches and remained perfect in Ivy League play with a 5-2 victory over Princeton Saturday. Princeton had been the only other undefeated team in Ancient Eight play heading into the match.
A gutsy performance from Harvard's top doubles tandem helped the guests capture the doubles point. With the match tied at 7-7, Casey MacMaster and Denis Nguyen picked up the only service break of the match, giving them an 8-7 edge. The duo went on to hold serve and capture the dramatic 9-7 win over the 46th-ranked team of Zack McCourt and Matija Pecotic. Kelvin Lam and Alex Steinroeder had a quicker road to victory, wrapping up an 8-5 win at No. 3 to secure the opening point of the match.
Princeton quickly leveled the match score when Jonathan Carcione downed MacMaster, 6-2, 6-1, on the sixth court. Steinroeder swung the lead back to Harvard for good when he wrapped up a 6-4, 6-1 victory on the third court over Matt Spindler. Shaun Chaudhuri stretched the Crimson lead to 3-1 with another straight-set win, topping McCourt, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 2.
The deciding point came on the fifth singles court, where Nicky Hu dug deep for a 7-5, 7-5 victory over Dan Richardson to secure the victory for the Crimson. Senior co-captain Andy Nguyen was right on his heels with a 6-4, 6-4 win at No. 4. Denis Nguyen played the lone three-set match of the day, pushing the eighth-ranked player in the nation Matija Pecotic in a 4-6, 6-1, 6-1 loss.
Harvard looks for its fourth Ivy League victory of the season tomorrow when it travels to Penn for a 2 p.m. match.
Harvard 5, Princeton 2
1. No. 55 Casey MacMaster/D. Nguyen (H) def. No. 46 McCourt/Pecotic (P), 9-7
2. Dan Davies/Spindler (P) def. No. 83 Hu/A. Nguyen (H), 8-3
3. Kelvin Lam/Steinroeder (H) def. Augie Bloom/Siow (P), 8-5
1. No. 8 Matija Pecotic (P) def. Denis Nguyen (H), 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
2. Shaun Chaudhuri (H) def. Zack McCourt (P), 6-3, 6-4
3. Alex Steinroeder (H) def. Matt Spindler (P), 6-4, 6-1
4. Andy Nguyen (H) def. Matt Siow (P), 6-4, 6-4
5. Nicky Hu (H) def. Dan Richardson (P), 7-5, 7-5
6. Jonathan Carcione (P) def. Casey MacMaster (H), 6-2, 6-1