WINTER PARK, Fla. (February 26, 2009) – The 10th ranked Rollins men’s tennis team opened Sunshine State Conference play in a big way, downing Saint Leo 9-0 Thursday afternoon.
The Tars (4-2, 1-0 SSC) rolled though doubles and took each of the six singles points in straight sets.
Adrian Tan and Jeff Morris teamed to win the top seeded doubles mach 8-3 over Yves Jacobs and Richard Maclachlan 8-3 with Nick Rowlands and Gustavo Carvalho taking Pablo Chaves and Jose Morales 8-3 in the No. 2 match. Bill Rockwood and Jonathon Emmet gave the Tars the doubles sweep with an 8-0 win over Diego Timeteo and Andrew Sheets at No. 3.
Morris, the 35th player in Division II, moved to No. 1 singles for the first time and picked up a 6-0, 6-3 win over Chavez. Rowlands beat Jacobs 6-2, 6-3 at No. 2 and Carvalho took Maclachlan 6-1, 6-4 in the No. 3 match. Rockwood was a 6-2, 6-2 winner over Timeteo at No. 4, Emmet downed Carter 6-1, 6-3 at no. 5 and Johnson beat Michael Calloway 6-0, 6-0 in the No. 6 match.
Rollins will return to action on Saturday, Feb. 28 hosting Lake Superior State at the Martin Tennis Complex. Competition is slated for 11 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
Saint Leo vs Rollins
02/26/09 at Winter Park, Fla.
#10 Rollins 9, Saint Leo 0
1. #35 Jeff Morris (ROLLINS) def. Pablo Chavez (SLM) 6-0, 6-3
2. Nick Rowlands (ROLLINS) def. Yves Jacobs (SLM) 6-2, 6-3
3. Gustavo Carvalho (ROLLINS) def. Richard Maclachlan (SLM) 6-1, 6-4
4. Bill Rockwood (ROLLINS) def. Diego Timoteo (SLM) 6-2, 6-2
5. Jonathon Emmet (ROLLINS) def. Anthony Carter (SLM) 6-1, 6-3
6. Andrew Johnson (ROLLINS) def. Michael Calloway (SLM) 6-0, 6-0
1. Adrian Tan/Jeff Morris (ROLLINS) def. Yves Jacobs/Richard Maclachlan (SLM) 8-3
2. Nick Rowlands/Gustavo Carvalho (ROLLINS) def. Pablo Chavez/Jose Morales (SLM) 8-3
3. Bill Rockwood/Jonathon Emmet (ROLLINS) def. Diego Timoteo/Andrew Sheets (SLM) 8-0
Saint Leo 2-4 (0-3)
Rollins 4-2 (1-0 SSC); National ranking #10
Official: Dale Moore