WINTER PARK, Fla. (February 21, 2009) – Rollins and Stephen F. Austin split singles competition, but the Tars strong doubles play proved to be the difference as 15th ranked Rollins downed SFA 5-4 on Friday evening.
Holly Fleming and Roshni Luthra got the Tars (3-0) started with an 8-0 win over Gabriela Gadeva and Titiana Smolinkova at No. 2 doubles. Stefaniya Tkach and Allie Steele downed Jamie Williams and Mary Harrison 8-4 in the No. 3 match to give the Tars a 2-0 lead.
In the top spot, Margaret Junker and Kayli Ragsdale lost a thrilling 9-7 decision to Alina Shazkko and Roxana Enica.
Holding a 2-1 lead, Rollins was able to hold serve in singles play and post the victory.
Tkach downed Sanjana Kapur 4-6, 7-6(3), 6-3 in the No. 4 match with Junker taking Gadeva 6-3, 6-1 at No. 4. Ragsdale was a winner at No. 6, beating Williams 4-6, 6-3, 6-1.
Rollins will return to the courts on Monday, Feb. 23 in Melbourne against Florida Tech at 2:30 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Stephen F. Austin vs Rollins College
2/21/2009 at Winter Park, Fla.
Rollins College 5, Stephen F. Austin 4
1. Roxana Enica (SFA) def. Holly Fleming (RC) 4-6, 6-0, 6-4
2. Alina Shazkho (SFA) def. Roshni Luthra (RC) 6-1, 7-6 (3-0)
3. Stefaniya Tkach (RC) def. Sanjana Kapur (SFA) 4-6, 7-6 (3-0), 6-3
4. Margaret Junker (RC) def. Gabriela Gadeva (SFA) 6-3, 6-1
5. Tatiana Smolnikova (SFA) def. Allie Steele (RC) 6-2, 6-3
6. Kayli Ragsdale (RC) def. Jamie Williams (SFA) 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
1. Alina Shazkho/Roxana Enica (SFA) def. Margaret Junker/Kayli Ragsdale (RC) 9-7
2. Holly Fleming/Roshni Luthra (RC) def. Gabriela Gadeva/Tatiana Smolnikova (SFA) 8-0
3. Stefaniya Tkach/Allie Steele (RC) def. Jamie Williams/Mary Harrison (SFA) 8-4
Stephen F. Austin 1-6
Rollins College 2-0
Rollins ranked No. 15 NCAA Division II