Arden Hills, Minn. - The St. Cloud State University men's tennis team (25-2) set a new team record for dual match wins in a season with the Huskies' 8-1 win at Bethel University on Monday, April 27, in Arden Hills. The original record of 24 victories (24-7) was set in 2002.
"The guys have done quite a job this season," SCSU coach Jerry Anderson said. "The new record is really a tribute to the quality of players we have on the team this year."
SCSU started the match with a sweep of the doubles matches. Wojciech Batorski and Mike Master earned an 8-3 win at first doubles, while Kris Johnson and Ryan Schoenefeld posted an 8-6 win at second doubles. In play at third doubles, Kevin Bauleke and Jeremy Thompson posted an 8-5 win over Bethel.
In singles play, Batorski charted a 6-2, 6-2 win at first singles and Master won 7-6, 6-2 at second singles. In third singles play, Johnson battled back to gain a 1-6, 6-2, 1-0 (12-10) win. Schoenefeld lost a tough 7-6, 6-4 match at fourth singles before Shane Ecklund charted a 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-3) win at fifth singles. To complete the day, Alex Lesiuk gained a 7-5, 6-3 win.
The match marked the end of the regular season for the Huskies, as they will now prepare for the upcoming NCAA Division II Central Regional tournament on May 7-9. The location and opponents in the regional tournament will be announced once the final regional pairing are detemined.
St. Cloud State 8, at Bethel 1
1. Wojciech Batorski/Mike Master (SCSU) def. Tom Ronning/Kent Nichols (BU) 8-3
2. Kris Johnson/Ryan Schoenefeld (SCSU) def. David Torres/Jordan McIver (BU) 8-6
3 Kevin Bauleke/Jeremy Thompson (SCSU) def. Joel Cassens/Jordan LeFebrve (8-5)
1. Batorski (SCSU) def. Ronnings (BU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Master (SCSU) def. Torres (BU) 7-6, 6-2
3. Johnson (SCSU) def. Nichols (BU) 1-6, 6-2, 1-0 (12-10)
4. Cassens (BU) def. Schoenfeld (SCSU) 7-6, 6-4
5. Shane Ecklund (SCSU) def. LeFebrve (BU) 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-3)
6. Alex Lesiak (SCSU) def. McIver (BU) 7-5, 6-3