LUBBOCK, Texas – Texas Tech swept doubles and picked up five straight-set singles wins en route to a 6-1 win over Wisconsin on Sunday at the McLeod Tennis Center.
“I was really impressed with the energy we had in single today,” said Lady Raider head coach Todd Petty. “We are getting more and more confident at the closing out of matches and the will helps us down the road.”
The No. 49 tandem of Samantha Adams and Kenna Kilgo doubled up Lauren Chypyha and Hannah Berner, 8-3, at No. 1 to garner the point for Texas Tech, while Elizabeth Ullathorne and Caroline Starck sped away with the first victory of the day at No. 3 doubles after dropping Helen Rabot and Lauren Burich, 8-2.
With the point secured for Texas Tech, Rashmi Teltumbde and Nikki Sanders closed out doubles with an 8-5 win over Wisconsin’s Katie Hoch and Anastasia Tripolskay.
Then line dominoes set on their side, the points began to come for the Lady Raiders.
Ullathorne rolled to a speedy straight set win over Hoch, 6-1, 6-0, followed by Carolina Starck’s 6-2, 6-3 win over Helen Rabot and Tech was leading 3-0.
No. 115 Adams clinched the victory, 6-4, 6-1 with her win over Chypyha at No. 2. Then came Sanders’ win over Tripolskay, 6-2, 6-2 at No. 5 and Dynka’s victory at No. 4 against Burich, 6-4, 6-4 to give the Lady Raiders a 6-0 lead.
Wisconsin’s lone point came at No. 1 singles, where Badger Hannah Berner edged No. 86 Kenna Kilgo, 7-6 (8-6), 6-2.
#19 Texas Tech 6, Wisconsin 1
Lubbock, Texas (McLeod Tennis Center)
1. Hannah Berner (WIS) def. #86 Kenna Kilgo (TT) 7-6 (8-6), 6-2
2. #115 Samantha Adams (TT) def. Lauren Chypyha (WIS) 6-4, 6-1
3. Elizabeth Ullathorne (TT) def. Katie Hoch (WIS) 6-1, 6-0
4. Sandra Dynka (TT) def. Lauren Burich (WIS) 6-4, 6-4
5. Nikki Sanders (TT) def. Anastasia Tripolskay (WIS) 6-2, 6-2
6. Caroline Starck (TT) def. Helen Rabot (WIS) 6-2, 6-3
1. #47 Samantha Adams/Kenna Kilgo (TT) def. Lauren Chypyha/Hannah Berner (WIS) 8-3
2. Rashmi Teltumbde/Nikki Sanders (TT) def. Katie Hoch/Anastasia Tripolskay (WIS) 8-5
3. Elizabeth Ullathorne/Caroline Starck (TT) def. Helen Rabot/Lauren Burich (WIS) 8-2
Match Notes: Wisconsin 1-9, #19 Texas Tech 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,6,2,5,4,1)