Tucson, Ariz. - The No. 9 UCLA women's tennis team improved to 14-4 overall and 5-2 in the Pac-12 on Friday, dispatching of Arizona, 5-2 at the Robson Tennis Center in Tucson.
UCLA switched up its doubles lineup in Friday's match, playing with three new combinations. The Bruins were still able to find success, rolling to wins on all three courts to claim the one point awarded for doubles play.
Robin Anderson did not play singles against the Wildcats, making room for freshman Kyle McPhillips to step into the No. 1 role. The move up in the lineup didn't faze her, as she downed Lacey Smith, 6-0, 7-5. UCLA would also get straight-set singles wins from Catherine Harrison (court No. 3) and Kaitlin Ray (court No. 5).
Sophomore Skylar Morton was extended to a match tiebreaker at court No. 6, eventually prevailing 5-7, 6-4, (10-8) over Susan Mc Rann.
The Bruins will be in action again tomorrow, facing No. 22 ASU at Noon in Tempe, Ariz.
#74 UCLA 5, #9 Arizona 2
Apr 05, 2013 at Tucson, AZ (Robson Tennis Center)
1. McPhillips/Morton (UCLA) def. Austin/Smyth (ARIZ) 8-4
2. Robin Anderson/Dolehide (UCLA) def. James/Stubbe (ARIZ) 8-0
3. Harrison/Montez (UCLA) def. Mc Rann/Oldham (ARIZ) 8-4
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. Kyle McPhillips (UCLA) def. Lacey Smyth (ARIZ) 6-0, 7-5
2. Kim Stubbe (ARIZ) def. Pamela Montez (UCLA) 6-0, 6-1
3. Catherine Harrison (UCLA) def. Susan Oldham (ARIZ) 6-2, 7-6
4. Akilah James (ARIZ) def. Courtney Dolehide (UCLA) 6-1, 1-6, 6-1
5. Kaitlin Ray (UCLA) def. Shayne Austin (ARIZ) 7-5, 6-3
6. Skylar Morton (UCLA) def. Susan Mc Rann (ARIZ) 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
UCLA 14-4; 5-2 Pac-12; National ranking #74
Arizona 9-10; 1-5 Pac-12; National ranking #9
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,3,1,5,6,4)