LOS ANGELES - The seventh-seeded UCLA women's tennis team booked its ticket into next week's NCAA Round of 16 in Champaign, Ill. on Sunday, as the Bruins notched a 4-0 victory over Oklahoma State in a second-round match at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. With the win, the Bruins (18-5) set up a meeting with 10th-seeded Michigan next week at the University of Illinois' Khan Outdoor Tennis Complex at the Atkins Tennis Center. That match is scheduled for Friday, May 17 at 7:00 p.m. (CST).
UCLA got out to a 1-0 lead in Sunday's match by claiming the doubles point following wins at court Nos. 2 and 3. After freshmen Catherine Harrison and Kyle McPhillips took care of business at court No. 3, UCLA's Courtney Dolehide and Pamela Montez clinched the point for the Bruins at the No. 2 spot, where they downed Oklahoma State's Meghan Blevins and Lorena Gheorge, 8-6. Dolehide and Montez are listed at No. 38 in the latest ITA doubles rankings.
Needing only three singles wins to pull out the victory, the Bruins managed to get out to a sold start in singles as well, taking first sets on four of six courts. Playing the final match of her career on her home courts, Montez was the first to finish at court No. 3, giving the Bruins a 2-0 lead following a 6-2, 6-3 victory over C.C. Sardinha. Within seconds of that victory, Dolehide gave the Bruins a 3-0 advantage when she beat Karyn Guttormsen, 6-1, 7-5 at court No. 6.
The Bruins' final point of the afternoon looked like it would come from the top 2 courts, where Robin Anderson and McPhillips were both up a set and leading in the second sets of their matches at court Nos. 1 and 2, respectively. Harrison, however, was cruise control at court No. 5 against OSU's Maria Alvarez. After dropping the first set, Harrison won 12 of the final 13 games of the match, eventually winning 3-6, 6-1, 6-0 to give UCLA the 4-0 victory.
When play was suspended, Anderson and McPhillips were up in their matches, while Chanelle Van Nguyen was down a set and in a second-set tiebreaker with Kanyapat Narattana at court No. 4.
Oklahoma State ends its season with a 16-9 overall record.
NCAA Women's Second Round
#7 UCLA 4, #28 Oklahoma State 0
May 12, 2013 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. #25 Anderson/Skylar Morton (UCLA) vs. #30 Narattana/Rose (OSU) 6-7, unfinished
2. #38 Dolehide/Montez (UCLA) def. Blevins/Lorena Gheorge (OSU) 8-6
3. Harrison/McPhillips (UCLA) def. Alvarez/Sardinha (OSU) 8-4
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. #3 Robin Anderson (UCLA) vs. #69 Malika Rose (OSU) 6-4, 5-6, unfinished
2. #20 Kyle McPhillips (UCLA) vs. Meghan Blevins (OSU) 6-4, 4-5, unfinished
3. Pamela Montez (UCLA) def. C.C. Sardinha (OSU) 6-2, 6-3
4. #119 Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) vs. Kanyapat Narattana (OSU) 3-6, 6-6, unfinished
5. #93 Catherine Harrison (UCLA) def. Maria Alvarez (OSU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-0
6. Courtney Dolehide (UCLA) def. Karyn Guttormsen (OSU) 6-1, 7-5
Oklahoma State 16-9; National ranking #28
UCLA 18-5; National ranking #7
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (3,6,5)
UCLA advances to face No. 10 Michigan in NCAA Round of 16 on Friday, May 17 in Champaign, Ill.