UNM Men's Tennis- Lobos Lose 5-2 Battle to No. 32 BYU
Lobos Lose 5-2 Battle to No. 32 BYU
Freshmen Phillips, Berg pick up singles wins
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – The University of New Mexico men’s tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision to 32nd-ranked conference foe BYU today at the Linda Estes Tennis Center. Despite the loss, the Lobos earned two quality wins from freshmen Jadon Phillips and Conor Berg, while sophomore Carl Ho turned in a resilient effort at the No. 2 position, only to fall in a three-set tiebreaker.
UNM drops to 6-8 while BYU improves to 17-4.
After snagging the doubles point with wins at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions, BYU went up 3-0 winning at the No 4 and No. 2 singles slots. Berg gave UNM its first point with a 7-5, 6-2, 6-3 win over Spencer Smith in the No. 5 hole. BYU responded with a win at the No. 6 slot as Danield Hwang snatched two tiebreaker set wins from Joe Wood, 7-6, 7-6, to give the Cougars the victory.
Despite the match being decided, Ho and opponent Evan Urbina provided an entertaining dual at the No. 2 position. Ho took the first set 7-6 before dropping set two, 7-5. Down 5-1 in the third set, Ho charged back, winning five straight games to go up 6-5. The two would push the match to a tiebreaker, which went to Urbina in the end making the final score 5-2.
“BYU is always a good team,” head coach Aland Dils said. “And they are an experienced team. Any time we play them we are gaurateed a good match. We fought hard and gave ourselves a chance. We are young and learning with each match. I am proud of the team and see improvement over the last month. We just need to keep fighting and we can win some of the close ones.”
The Lobos continue conference play on the road next weekend, taking on Utah on Friday, April 9 and San Diego State on Sunday, April 11.
#32 BYU 5, University of New Mexico 2
1. Thomas Shubert (BYU) def. Ben Dunbar (NM) 6-3, 4-6, 7-6
2. Evan Urbina (BYU) def. Carl Ho (NM) 6-7, 7-5, 7-6
3. Jadon Phillips (NM) def. Georgy Batrakov (BYU) 2-6, 7-6, 6-2
4. Cassidy Mears (BYU) def. Phil Anderson (NM) 6-0, 6-1
5. Conor Berg (NM) def. Spencer Smith (BYU) 5-7, 6-2, 6-3
6. Daniel Hwang (BYU) def. Joe Wood (NM) 7-6, 7-6
1. Cassidy Mears/Thomas Shubert (BYU) def. Phil Anderson/Jadon Phillips (NM) 8-5
2. Conor Berg/Ben Dunbar (NM) def. Georgy Batrakov/Spencer Smith (BYU) 8-2
3. Daniel Hwang/Evan Urbina (BYU) def. Joe Wood/Carl Ho (NM) 8-5
BYU 17-4; National ranking #32
University of New Mexico 6-8
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (4,1,5,6,3,2)