CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 23 Miami lived up to its billing on Sunday with a 7-0 defeat of Penn in men’s tennis action in Miami.
The Hurricanes captured the doubles point with a 3-0 sweep. The first two matches to end were No. 2 and 3 by matching 8-1 scores. At No. 1 doubles, Hicham Laalej and Phil Law gave Christian Blocker and David Simon all they could handle before falling 8-6.
Jason Lin was the only Quaker to extend his singles match past two sets, but he could not complete the win as he was defeated by Keith Crowley, 6-7, 6-3, 4-10.
Hicham Laalej had set point at No. 1 singles against Blocker, but could not hold off the Hurricane player, losing 6-7, 0-6. Alex Vasin also had a set point at No. 4 singles against #96 Carl Sundberg, but like Laalej, it was not to be as Sundberg rallied back for the win, 7-6, 6-3.
“I feel like we played hard and competed well with a top-ranked team,” head coach Nik DeVore said. “This weekend will help us confidence-wise when we play at the ECAC Championships next weekend.”
The Quakers are back on the courts next weekend at the ECAC Championships at Harvard.
#23 Miami 7, Penn 0
1. Christian Blocker (UM) def. Hicham Laalej (PENN) 7-6, 6-0
2. Ignacio Taboada (UM) def. Adam Schwartz (PENN) 7-5, 6-4
3. David Simon (UM) def. Phil Law (PENN) 6-0, 6-4
4. #96 Carl Sundberg (UM) def. Alex Vasin (PENN) 7-6, 6-3
5. Keith Crowley (UM) def. Jason Lin (PENN) 7-6, 3-6, 10-4
6. Hector Nieto (UM) def. Justen Roth (PENN) 6-0, 6-2
1. Christian Blocker/David Simon (UM) def. Hicham Laalej/Phil Law (PENN) 8-6
2. David Rosenfeld/Keith Crowley (UM) def. Adam Schwartz/Alex Vasin (PENN) 8-1
3. Ignacio Taboada/Carl Sundberg (UM) def. Justen Roth/Zach Gorn (PENN) 8-1
Miami 4-2; National ranking #23
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,3,1,2,4,5)