ATLANTA, Ga. - No. 17 Virginia defeated No. 19 Georgia Tech, 4-3, in Atlantic Coast Conference women's tennis action Saturday afternoon at Ken Byers Tennis Complex.
Freshman Julia Elbaba(Oyster Bay, N.Y.) clinched Virginia's (14-7, 7-1 ACC) sixth consecutive win with a three-set decision over Elizabeth Kilborn at No. 1 singles.
Virginia claimed the doubles point and senior Hana Tomljanovic (Boca Raton, Fla.) and junior Caryssa Peretz(Cherry Hill, N.J.) added singles wins against Georgia Tech (10-8, 4-4 ACC).
The Cavaliers used wins from the No. 3 team of senior Maria Fuccillo (Rockville, Md.) and junior Li Xi(Kunming, China) and No. 2 tandem of Elbaba and Tomljanovic to earn the doubles point. Fuccillo and Xi beat Kilborn and Muriel Wacker, 8-5, and Elbaba and Tomljanovic clinched the point with an 8-5 decision over Natasha Prokhnevska and Jasmine Minor.
Georgia Tech took a 2-1 lead after singles wins from Wacker at No. 5 and Woodard at No. 2.
Virginia's Peretz tied the score at 2-2 with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Minor at No. 6 and Tomljanovic gave the Cavaliers a 3-2 lead with a 7-6, 6-0 win over Prokhnevska at No. 3.
Georgia Tech's Kurey tied the score at 3-3 with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Xi at No. 3. Elbaba continued her strong play, defeating Kilborn 1-6, 6-3, 6-2 in the deciding match.
Virginia concludes its two-match road trip at No. 14 Clemson tomorrow at 12 p.m. Live scoring is available at VirginiaSports.com.
No. 17 Virginia 4, No. 19 Georgia Tech 3
Ken Byers Tennis Complex
Saturday, April 13, 2013
1. No. 57 Megan Kurey/Kendal Woodard (GT) def. No. 85 Erin Vierra/Stephanie Nauta (UVA) 8-6
2. No. 88 Julia Elbaba/Hana Tomljanovic (UVA) def. Elizabeth Kilborn/Muriel Wacker (GT) 8-5
3. Maria Fuccillo/Li Xi (UVA) def. Natasha Prokhnevska/Jasmine Minor (GT) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3,1,2
1. No. 11 Julia Elbaba (UVA) def. No. 80 Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) 1-6, 6-3, 6-2
2. No. 108 Kendal Woodard (GT) def. No. 66 Stephanie Nauta (UVA) 7-5, 6-2
3. Hana Tomljanovic (UVA) def. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) 7-6, 6-0
4. Megan Kurey (GT) def. Li Xi (UVA) 6-3, 6-3
5. Muriel Wacker (GT) def. Erin Vierra (UVA) 6-1, 6-1
6. Caryssa Peretz (UVA) def. Jasmine Minor (GT) 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 5,2,6,3,4,1