RAMS ROLL TO FOURTH STRAIGHT WIN WITH 5-2 DEFEAT OF SOUTH CAROLINA
The Short Story: The four upperclassmen in VCU's lineup went a perfect 4-0 in singles action with four straight set victories to pace the Rams to their fourth straight win, a 5-2 decision over a red-hot South Carolina squad. The Gamecocks entered the match having won five of their past six matches including two victories over top-40 squads. Senior Max Wennkoski (pictured, main) is now 22-6 overall this year and 10-1 in spring matches.
How it Happened
The Rams started the day by rolling to three victories in doubles action, led by a decisive 8-4 win at the top doubles spot by Alexis Heugas (pictured, top right) and Dylan McCloskey.
Heugas kept momentum on the Black & Gold's side with a 6-1, 6-3 win at the second singles spot.
After South Carolina picked up a win at the fourth singles spot, Wennakoski locked up a win over 94th-ranked Tsvetan Mihov, 6-3, 7-5 to push VCU's lead to 3-1.
The Gamecocks got another singles win at the third spot, before senior Jaime Vazquez (pictured, bottom right) secured the win for the Rams with an easy 6-0, 6-2 win over Harry Menzies at #6 singles.
VCU 5, South Carolina 2
1) Alexis Heugas/Dylan McCloskey (VCU) def. Chip Cox/Tsvetan Mihov, 8-4
2) Max Wennakoski/Michal Voscek (VCU) def. Kyle Koch/Harry Menzies, 8-7
3) Alejandro Argente/Jaime Vazquez (VCU) def. Thiago Pinheiro/Ben Barnette, 8-6
1) Max Wennakoski (VCU) def. Tsvetan Mihov, 6-3, 7-5
2) Alexis Heugas (VCU) def. Andrew Adams, 6-1, 6-3
3) Chip Cox (SC) def. Claes Goransson, 6-1, 2-6, 6-2
4) Thiago Pinheiro (SC) def. Michal Voscek, 6-2, 6-4
5) Alejandro Argente (VCU) def. Kyle Koch, 6-3, 6-3
6) Jaime Vazquez (VCU) def. Harry Menzies, 6-0, 6-2