BOISE, Idaho - Garrett Patton won a third set tiebreaker to clinch Boise State’s 20th win of the season as the Broncos defeated Middle Tennessee State 4-1 Saturday night at the Appleton Tennis Center. Boise State won the doubles point, as well as singles matches by Thomas Tenreiro, Brendan McClain and Patton as the Broncos swept both matches today, defeating Utah State 6-1.
The doubles point went to the Broncos with wins at the No. 1 and 2 positions. Andy Bettles and Thomas Tenreiro opened with a 8-3 victory on court one, followed by Brendan McClain and Garrett Patton’s 8-5 victory on court two. The third match was called once the team point was decided, at the time play stopped Boise State’s Toby Mitchell and Nathan Sereke were leading 7-6.
Singles was a battle down to the last match. Though the contest was stopped once the team victory was decided five of the six contests went into third sets. McClain wasted little time putting away the Blue Raiders’ Aaron Jumonville on court five 6-1, 6-2 to give Boise State a 2-0 advantage and improve his record to 23-8 overall.
Tenreiro pulled the Broncos to within one of victory when he rallied from one set down to defeat Middle Tennessee State’s Victor Cornea 1-6, 6-2, 6-3. The sophomore from Miami, Fla., is now 17-10 on the year.
With Boise State up 3-0, Middle Tennessee State cut into the lead when David Fox handed the Broncos’ Sereke a three set 6-4, 3-6, 6-0 defeat to make the team score 3-1.
With the remaining three matches going down to the wire both Patton and Brian Foley entered third set tiebreakers. Patton finished first when he dispatched MTSU’s Victor Hoang in the tiebreaker to win 6-0, 4-6, 7-6 (4) to clinch the team victory at 4-1. The junior from Boise is now 19-12 overall on the year.
The remaining two matches were abandoned with Foley down 3-0 (6-4, 3-6, 6-6) in his tiebreaker and Bettles trailing 6-2, 2-6, 3-4 when play ended.
FINAL MATCH SUMMARY
Middle Tennessee (8-12) at No. 22 Boise State (20-4)
Apr 5, 2014 at Boise, Idaho (Appleton Tennis Center)
No. 22 Boise State 4, Middle Tennessee 1
1. Andy Bettles/Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Victor Cornea/David Fox (MT) 8-3
2. Brendan McClain/Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Yannick Born/Aaron Jumonville (MT) 8-5
3. Toby Mitchell/Nathan Sereke (BSU) vs. Victor Hoang/Ettore Zito (MT) 7-6, unfinished
Order of finish: 1,2
1. Andy Bettles (BSU) vs. Ettore Zito (MT) 6-2, 2-6, 3-4, unfinished
2. David Fox (MT) def. Nathan Sereke (BSU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-0
3. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Victor Cornea (MT) 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Victor Hoang (MT) 6-0, 4-6, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Brendan McClain (BSU) def. Aaron Jumonville (MT) 6-1, 6-2
6. Brian Foley (BSU) vs. Sam Matheson (MT) 6-4, 3-6, 6-6 (0-3), unfinished
Order of finish: 5,3,2,4