Men’s Tennis vs. Gustavus Adolphus
Laie, HI—The Brigham Young University Hawaii men’s tennis team opened the season with a hard-fought win over Gustavus Adolphus (MN) today on the BYU-Hawaii tennis courts. The Seasiders picked up a pair of doubles wins and three of the six singles wins to come away with the win.
Zevhan Zakharov and Martin Chojnacki earned an 8-6 win at number one doubles for BYU-Hawaii and C.J. Adamson and Andy Xing claimed an 8-2 win at the second doubles slot to give the Seasiders a 2-1 advantage heading into singles play.
Zakharov scored a 6-3, 6-1 win at number one singles but Gustavus Adolphus countered with wins at the second and fourth singles positions to tie the match at 3-3. The Golden Gusties snared a win at number five singles to take a 4-3 lead with two matches still in doubt but Xing and Adamson secured the win for the Seasiders with three set wins at the sixth and third singles slots respectively.
The Seasiders will be back in action on Wednesday against Grand Canyon in Glendale, Arizona at 9:00 am MST.
1. #29 Zevhan Zakharov, BYUH def. Patrick Clark, GAC 6-3, 6-1
2. #41 Mya Smith-Dennis, GAC def. Martin Chojnacki, BYUH 6-7(2), 7-6(5), 6-3
3. C.J. Adamson, BYUH def. Tyler Johnson, GAC 6-7(4), 6-2, 6-2
4. Marcel Gyswyt, GAC def. Christiaan Noot, BYUH 7-6(4), 6-3
5. Joey MacGibbon, GAC def. Isaac Hadley, BYUH 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
6. Andy Xing, BYUH def. Daniel Pomeranc, GAC 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
1. Zakharov/Chojnacki, BYUH def. Clark/Johnson, GAC 8-6
2. Adamson/Xing, BYUH def. Smith-Dennis/MacGibbon, GAC 8-2
3. Gyswyt/Bradley Entwistle, GAC def. Noot/Hadley, BYUH 8-4