URBANA, Ill. - For the second straight season, California ended its run in the NCAA Championship round of 16 against Virginia - this time falling 4-0 on Thursday at the Khan Outdoor Tennis Complex. The eighteenth-ranked Golden Bears' record ends up at 16-10, while the second-seeded and third-ranked Cavaliers' improved to 27-0.
The Bears had a chance to win the doubles point. While the No. 65 Cal team of freshman Mads Engsted and junior Ben McLachlan lost to 21st-ranked Alex Domijan and Mitchell Frank on court two in the first match to end, Cal sophomores Gregory Bayane and Chase Melton tied the doubles action with an 8-6 upset win over No. 89 Ryan Shane and Julen Uriguen on court three. But the No. 26 Cal duo of junior Campbell Johnson and Christoffer Konigsfeldt dropped the deciding match to the fourth-ranked Jarmere Jenkins and Mac Styslinger, 8-4, in No. 1 doubles, and the Cavs took the point.
In singles, Virginia won the first set of five of the six matches. Cal senior Riki McLachlan - playing in just his third match since returning from a long injury absence - dropped the first match, 6-0, 6-1, to Julen Uriguen on court six to end his career as a Golden Bear. Next, the 86th-ranked Konigsfeldt fell to No. 2 Domijan, 6-2, 6-4, to give UVa a 3-0 lead. The Cavs wrapped up the match when Bayane lost to the 39th-ranked Styslinger, 6-4, 6-1, on court four.
Next up for thee of the Bears are the NCAA singles and doubles tournaments, which run from May 22-27 in Urbana. Johnson and Ben McLachlan will play in the NCAA singles championship, while Konigsfeldt and Johnson will team up for the doubles tournament.
Round of 16
 No. 3 Virginia 4, No. 18 California 0
Khan Outdoor Tennis Complex - Urbana, Ill.
1. No. 4 Jarmere Jenkins/Mac Styslinger (Virginia) vs. No. 26 Campbell Johnson/Christoffer Konigsfeldt (California) - 8-4
2. No. 21 Alex Domijan/Mitchell Frank (Virginia) def. No. 65 Mads Engsted/Ben McLachlan (California) - 8-5
3. Gregory Bayane/Chase Melton (California) def. No. 89 Ryan Shane/Julen Uriguen (Virginia) - 8-6
Virginia won the doubles point
Doubles Singles Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1*
*Clinched the doubles point
1. No. 3 Jarmere Jenkins (Virginia) vs. No. 38 Ben McLachlan (California) - Abandoned
2. No. 2 Alex Domijan (Virginia) def. No. 86 Christoffer Konigsfeldt (California) - 6-2, 6-4
3. No. 39 Mitchell Frank (Virginia) vs. No. 60 Campbell Johnson (California) - Abandoned
4. No. 28 Mac Styslinger (Virginia) def. Gregory Bayane (California) - 6-4, 6-1
5. No. 69 Justin Shane (Virginia) vs. Mads Engsted (California) - Abandoned
6. Julen Uriguen (Virginia) def. Riki McLachlan (California) - 6-0, 6-1
Singles Order of Finish: 6, 2, 4*
*Clinched the match
Records: Virginia 27-0. California 16-10.