Tar Heels Take Down UT-Chattanooga
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - No. 22 North Carolina (6-2) swept UT-Chattanooga (5-3) by a score of 7-0 in men's tennis action on Sunday at Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.
In doubles play, Oystein Steiro and Andrew Gores picked up the first victory for the Tar Heels with an 8-3 rout of Chattanooga's Stephen Crofford and John Peacey at the No. 3 seed. At the No. 2 seed, juniors Nelson Vick and Maik Ulrich clinched the doubles point for North Carolina with a hard-fought 8-5 win over Manuel Barroetavena and Jackson Tresnan. William Parker and Brett Clark finished doubles play by claiming an 8-5 victory over Chattanooga's pairing of Chris Smith and Roberto Vieira at No. 1 doubles.
North Carolina completed the sweep in singles action despite some close matches.
At the No. 1 seed, #80 Nelson Vick handled Chattanooga's Roberto Vieira, 6-1, 6-0. At the No. 3 seed, William Parker triumphed over Chris Smith, 6-1, 6-4. Oystein Steiro earned a 6-4, 6-4 win over Pavels Grigorjevs at the No. 4 seed, and Maik Ulrich edged Jackson Tresnan, 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (10-6) at the No. 5 seed. At No. 6 singles, Stuart DePaolo took out Chattanooga's Luke Saunders by a score of 6-2, 7-5.
North Carolina's Brett Clark squeezed out a 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (10-8) victory at No. 2 singles in a long match that concluded the 7-0 sweep for the Tar Heels.
"First of all, it was good to have one of our former assistant coaches back here. Carlos Garcia, he's the head coach at UT-Chattanooga, so it was good to see him," said North Carolina head coach Sam Paul.
Paul added: "We've got to work on shot selection. We just have to know what shots to go for, and when and why. We just have to work a little harder and be more consistent."
The Tar Heels will be back in action this evening when they face North Carolina Central at 6:30 p.m.
#22 North Carolina 7, UT-Chattanooga 0
Doubles (Team Winning Majority Of Matches Earns One Team Point)
Order of match finish: (3, 2, 1)
1. William Parker/Brett Clark (UNC) d. Chris Smith/Roberto Vieira (UTC), 8-5
2. Nelson Vick/Maik Ulrich (UNC) d. Manuel Barroetavena/Jackson Tresnan (UTC), 8-5
3. Oystein Steiro/Andrew Gores (UNC) d. Stephen Crofford/John Peacey (UTC), 8-3
Singles (One Team Point Per Singles Match)
1. #80 Nelson Vick (UNC) d. Roberto Vieira (UTC), 6-1, 6-0
2. #77 Brett Clark (UNC) d. Manuel Barroetavena (UTC), 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (10-8)
3. William Parker (UNC) d. Chris Smith (UTC), 6-1, 6-4
4. Oystein Steiro (UNC) d. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC), 6-4, 6-4
5. Maik Ulrich (UNC) d. Jackson Tresnan (UTC), 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (10-6)
6. Stuart DePaolo (UNC) d. Luke Saunders (UTC), 6-2, 7-5
Records: North Carolina (6-2), UT-Chattanooga (5-3)