UNC Beats NC Central
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - No. 22 North Carolina (7-2) cruised past North Carolina Central (0-3) by a score of 7-0 on Sunday at Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.
The Tar Heels were dominant from the start, sweeping the doubles matches.
The pairing of Oystein Steiro and Andrew Gores got the Tar Heels off to a fast start in doubles play. They made quick work of Jamal Hoyte and Tamina Kienka, claiming an 8-0 victory at the No. 3 seed. William Parker and Brett Clark followed suit at No. 1 singles, overwhelming NC Central's duo of Daniil Gerasimov and Jose Fabara by a score of 8-2 to clinch the doubles point for North Carolina. At No. 2 singles, Nelson Vick and Maik Ulrich defeated Thomas Persico and Fabrice George 8-3.
Carolina's success carried over into singles play, where the Tar Heels finished off the 7-0 sweep.
At No. 3 singles, senior William Parker handled Jose Fabara 6-0, 6-1. Oystein Steiro blanked Fabrice George 6-0, 6-0 at the No. 4 seed, and Stuart DePaolo defeated Jamal Hoyte 6-0, 6-0 at No. 6 singles. At No. 5 singles, junior Maik Ulrich contributed a 6-0, 6-0 victory over Tamina Kienka. No. 77 Brett Clark was able to fend off Thomas Persico by a score of 6-2, 6-0 at the No. 2 seed. At No. 1 singles, #80 Nelson Vick got a hard-earned 6-2, 6-0 victory over Daniil Gerasimov to complete the sweep.
"We had better focus tonight on shot selection and playing with more intensity, so I liked that a little bit better," said North Carolina head coach Sam Paul.
On Wednesday, the Tar Heels will take on #4 Ohio State at Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center. The match is scheduled for 2:30 p.m.
#22 North Carolina 7, NC Central 0
Doubles (Team Winning Majority Of Matches Earns One Team Point)
Order of match finish: (3, 1, 2)
1. William Parker/Brett Clark (UNC) d. Daniil Gerasimov/Jose Fabara (NCCU), 8-2
2. Nelson Vick/Maik Ulrich (UNC) d. Thomas Persico/Fabrice George (NCCU), 8-3
3. Oystein Steiro/Andrew Gores (UNC) d. Jamal Hoyte/Tamina Kienka (NCCU), 8-0
Singles (One Team Point Per Singles Match)
Order of match finish: (3, 4, 6, 5, 2, 1)
1. #80 Nelson Vick (UNC) d. Daniil Gerasimov (NCCU), 6-2, 6-0
2. #77 Brett Clark (UNC) d. Thomas Persico (NCCU), 6-2, 6-0
3. William Parker (UNC) d. Jose Fabara (NCCU), 6-0, 6-1
4. Oystein Steiro (UNC) d. Fabrice George (NCCU), 6-0, 6-0
5. Maik Ulrich (UNC) d. Tamina Kienka (NCCU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Stuart DePaolo (UNC) d. Jamal Hoyte (NCCU), 6-0, 6-0
Records: North Carolina (7-2), NC Central (0-3)