The UTEP tennis team manhandled in-state foe UTPA, 6-1, on the way to picking up its program-record-equaling sixth straight victory at the El Paso Tennis Club Friday afternoon. Weronika Bloczynska and Marina DeLuca led the charge by picking up triumphs to remain undefeated in the spring (8-0) as result.
At 7-1 overall, the Miners continue the best start to a season at the institution since 1999 and the third top christening overall. Head coach Jamie Campbell’s squad has secured its best ever record out of the gates for home matches (6-0), eclipsing the prior school standard (5-0 by the 1995 team).
As has been the case since the onset of dual-match play, UTEP surged to the early lead on the strength of a clean sweep in doubles action. The Miners have now reeled in the doubles point in every tilt this season, and stand a combined 21-3 in dual-match doubles.
Bloczynska/ Megan Pritchard drilled the Lady Broncos’ top tandem of Stephanie Willerding/Andrea Salvetova, 8-2. Martina Trieweiler/Carolina DeLuca also were locked in, waxing Luisa Cantu/Megan Bedeau, 8-3, at No. 2 doubles. Marina DeLuca/ Vicky Michaud were challenged early, but pulled away for an 8-5 defeat of Malin Anderson/Sarah Burton at No. 3 doubles.
Following a short break, focus turned to singles action. The Miners snared victories at five of the six courts, including four via straight sets. Trierweiler derailed Cantu, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 2 singles while Carolina DeLuca drilled Bedeau, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 3 singles.
Bloczynska was forced to play a super tiebreaker thanks to the team outcome being decided after she split the first two sets with Willerding, 6-2, 3-6. Undeterred by the change in format, the senior held off her foe, 10-7, at No. 1 singles.
Marina DeLuca also remained perfect, crushing Andrea Salvetova, 6-0, 6-1, at No. 4 singles. Michaud was in top form vs. Burton, evidenced by the 6-2, 6-2, stomping at No. 6 singles. Only Anderson defeating Fuentes-who has been saddled with an injured wrist-, 6-2, 7-5, at No. 5 singles prevented the shutout.
UTEP cannot rest on its laurels, though, with a match-up against Northern Arizona at 12 p.m. on Saturday looming. The contest will wrap up the season-long seven-match homestand, with the Orange and Blue then forced to face eight straight foes in hostile territory.
UTEP 6, UTPA 1
1. Weronika Bloczynska (UTEP) def. Stephanie Willerding (UTPA) 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (10-7)
2. Martina Trieweiler (UTEP) def. Luisa Cantu (UTPA) 6-2, 6-3
3. Carolina DeLuca (UTEP) def. Megan Bedeau (UTPA) 6-2, 6-1
4. Marina DeLuca (UTEP) def. Andrea Salvetova (UTPA) 6-0, 6-1
5. Malin Anderson (UTPA) def. Ximena Fuentes (UTEP) 6-2, 7-5
6. Vicky Michaud (UTEP) def. Sarah Burton (UTPA) 6-2, 6-2
1. Weronika Bloczynska/Megan Pritchard (UTEP) def. Stephanie Willerding/Andrea Salvetova (UTPA) 8-2
2. Martina Trieweiler/Carolina DeLuca (UTEP) def. Luisa Cantu/Megan Bedeau (UTPA) 8-3
3. Marina DeLuca/Vicky Michaud (UTEP) def. Malin Anderson/Sarah Burton (UTPA) 8-5