The UTEP tennis team continued its best start in 10 years by picking up its school-record-setting seventh straight win in a 6-1 dismantling of Northern Arizona at the El Paso Tennis Club Saturday afternoon. The Miners now stand 8-1 on the campaign, with the latest triumph capping the season-long seven-match home stand at a perfect 7-0.
Weronika Bloczynska and Marina DeLuca also continued their sensational play in the spring, with each picking up straight set victories on the day to remain perfect in dual-match play (9-0). Bloczynska is also unbeaten in doubles action, with Megan Pritchard and her teaming up to go 9-0 to this point in the campaign.
The Miners jumped all over the Lumberjacks early, picking up triumphs in all three doubles matches contested. Bloczynska/Pritchard waxed Kim Van Ginkel/Edit Suhajda, 8-2, at No. 1 doubles. The other matches were a bit tighter, but the Orange and Blue came out on top in both. Carolina DeLuca/Martina Trieweiler derailed Stacey Pinchbeck/Orsi Golovics, 8-5, at No. 2 doubles while Marina DeLuca/Vicky Michaud downed Leslie Vial/Aimee Oki, 8-5, at No. 3 doubles.
Action then switched to singles play, where the Orange and Blue continued to dominate. Fuentes easily handled Hasegawa, 6-0, 6-2, at No. 6 singles. Bloczynska made quick work of Van Ginkel, 7-5, 6-2, at No. 1 singles while Marina DeLuca demolished Vial, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 4 singles.
Trierweiler was forced to work a bit, but still posted a straight set triumph at No. 2 singles against Edit. She secured the first set, 7-6 (8-6), rallying from a 6-2 deficit in the tiebreaker to claim the set with six straight points. The native of Brazil was locked in during the second set, defeating her foe 6-1.
Pritchard also showed some mental toughness, roaring back from falling in the first set 6-3 to claim the second set 6-4. In the super tiebreaker, which was used in lieu of the final set thanks to the team outcome being decided, Pritchard rolled to the tune of 10-1.
NAU’s lone triumph on the day came at No. 3 singles, where Golovics edged Carolina DeLuca, 6-4, 7-5.
1. Weronika Bloczynska (UTEP) def. Kim Van Ginkel (NAU) 7-5, 6-2
2. Martina Trieweiler (UTEP) def. Edit Suhajda (NAU) 7-6, 6-1
3. Orsi Golovics (NAU) def. Carolina DeLuca (UTEP) 6-4, 7-5
4. Marina DeLuca (UTEP) def. Leslie Vial (NAU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Megan Pritchard (UTEP) def. Stacey Pinchbeck (NAU) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-1)
6. Ximena Fuentes (UTEP) def. Yumi Hasegawa (NAU) 6-0, 6-2
1. Weronika Bloczynska/Megan Pritchard (UTEP) def. Kim Van Ginkel/Edit Suhajda (NAU) 8-2
2. Carolina DeLuca/Martina Trieweiler (UTEP) def. Stacey Pinchbeck/Orsi Golovics (NAU) 8-5
3. Marina DeLuca/Vicky Michaud (UTEP) def. Leslie Vial/Aimee Oki (NAU) 8-6