LINCOLN, Neb. - The No. 27-ranked Tulsa women’s tennis squad suffered a 4-3 setback to No. 57-ranked UNLV Friday in the first round of the NCAA Championship on Friday.
The Golden Hurricane (19-7) won the doubles point, and led 3-2, but the Lady Rebels (20-7) won matches on the top-two courts to take the match.
In doubles, the No. 15-ranked duo of Samantha Vickers and Isaura Enrique won 8-1 over Lucia Batta and Nives Pavlovic on the top court. After a set back on Court 2, freshman Renata Kuricova and junior Maria Sant’Anna overcame a 6-3 deficit to dispatch Ella Bourchier and Iren Kotseva, 9-8.
UNLV tied the match at one-all after Pavlovic defeated TU’s Michelle Farley, 6-1, 6-2 at No. 3 singles. The match marked the end of a historic career for the Hurricane senior, as Farley ends her four years at Tulsa with 98 career wins, which is tied for the fourth-most in school history.
Kuricova gave the Hurricane a 2-1 advantage after she achieved a 6-1, 6-2, triumph over Ella Bourchier at No. 5 singles.
After losing on Court 6, TU’s final triumph of the afternoon came at No. 4 singles, as freshman Saana Saarteinen defeated Janie Erasmus, 6-2, 6-1.
The Lady Rebels tied the match at three as Enrique fell 3-6, 6-4, 6-1 at No. 2 singles against No. 59-ranked Lucia Batta.
All eyes turned to the top court, as No. 18-ranked Vickers, riding a 17-match winning streak, was in a battle with No. 38 Aleksandra Josifoska. Vickers ultimately fell 7-6 (8-6), 4-6, 6-4.
"I think UNLV absolutely deserved this match. They competed so hard in singles and doubles," Head Coach Dean Orford said. "It was a really fun match that came down to a position we feel real comfortable with. All credit goes to their No. 1. The top of their lineup really came to play today."
Vickers will compete in the NCAA Singles Championship, while Vickers and Enrique will compete in the NCAA Doubles Championship. The singles and doubles competition will be conducted May 22-27 at the Khan Outdoor Tennis Complex/Atkins Tennis Center in Urbana, Ill., following the conclusion of the team championship, which runs from May 17-21.
For all Tulsa Women's tennis news and information, visit www.TulsaHurricane.com. Follow Tulsa Athletics on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/TulsaHurricane and Facebook at www.facebook.com/TulsaHurricane. Follow Tulsa Women's Tennis on Twitter (http://twitter.com/TulsaWTennis) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/TulsaWTennis)
No. 57 UNLV - 4
No. 27 Tulsa - 3
NCAA Tournament First Round
Friday, May 10, 2013 (11 a.m. CT)
NU Varsity Tennis Courts
1. Aleksandra Josifoska (UNLV) def. Samantha Vickers (TULSA) 7-6 (8-6), 4-6, 6-4
2. Lucia Batta (UNLV) def. Isaura Enrique (TULSA) 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
3. Nives Pavolovic (UNLV) def. Michelle Farley (TULSA) 6-1, 6-2
4. Saana Saarteinen (TULSA) def. Janine Erasmus (UNLV) 6-2, 6-1
5. Maria Sant'Anna (TULSA) def. Ella Bourchier (UNLV) 6-1, 6-2
6. Iren Kotseva (UNLV) def. Renata Kuricova (TULSA) 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish (3, 5, 4, 6, 2, 1)
1. Samantha Vickers/Isaura Enrique (TULSA) def. Lucia Batta/Nives Pavolovic (UNLV) 8-1.
2. Aleksandra Josifoska/Janine Erasmus (UNLV) def. Michelle Farley/Saana Saarteinen (TULSA) 9-7.
3. Renata Kuricova/Maria Sant'Anna (TULSA) def. Ella Bourchier/Iren Kotseva (UNLV) 9-8 (7-5).
Order of finish (1, 2, 3)