SAN DIEGO, Calif.- The No. 53-ranked University of Utah women’s tennis team (5-4) defeated New Mexico State (5-6), 6-1, on the first day of play at the Barnes Collegiate Women’s Invitational Wednesday. Senior Leigh Walsh clinched the match for Utah from the No. 4 spot with a 6-3, 6-2, win over Aleksa Costa.
“It’s good that we picked up our first outdoor win of the year and that it was against a solid New Mexico State team,” said head coach Mat Iandolo. “We are looking forward to a good match against Texas Tech when we take them on tomorrow morning.”
In doubles play Juniors Erin Monson and Andrea Maughan defeated Isabela Kulaif and Stephanie Eusebe at the No. 1 position, 8-4. Walsh and senior Karine Bourdages sealed the doubles point for Utah from the No. 3 spot with an 8-5 victory over Laura Boguet and Natalia Salum Soto.
Freshmen Anastasia Putilina and Lisa Johnson topped Costa and Sophia Marks at the No. 2 position, 9-7.
In singles play Monson defeated Boguet at the No. 2 spot, 6-2, 6-4, putting Utah up 2-0. At the No. 5 position Freshman Lexi Provancha topped Kulaif, 6-1, 6-1, setting Walsh up to clinch the match for the Utes, 4-0.
Putilina defeated Marks at the No. 1 spot, 6-2, 7-5, and Bourdages topped Salum Soto,6-1, 6-3, at the No. 6 position, putting Utah up 6-0. Johnson fell to Eusebe at the No. 3 spot 6-2, 2-6, 6-4.
The Utes will take on the Red Raiders Thursday at 9:30 a.m. PT.
#53 Utah 6, New Mexico State 1
1. Anastasia Putilina (UT) def. Sophia Marks (NMS) 6-2, 7-5
2. Erin Monson (UT) def. Laura Boguet (NMS) 6-2, 6-4
3. Stephanie Eusebe (NMS) def. Lisa Johnson (UT) 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
4. Leigh Walsh (UT) def. Aleksa Costa (NMS) 6-3, 6-2
5. Lexi Provancha (UT) def. Isabela Kulaif (NMS) 6-1, 6-1
6. Karine Bourdages (UT) def. Natalia Salum Soto (NMS) 6-3, 6-1
1. Erin Monson/Andrea Maughan (UT) def. Stephanie Eusebe/Isabela Kulaif (NMS) 8-4
2. Anastasia Putilina/Lisa Johnson (UT) def. Aleksa Costa/Sophia Marks (NMS) 9-7
3. Leigh Walsh/Karine Bourdages (UT) def. Laura Boguet/Natalia Salum Soto (NMS) 8-5