NASHVILLE - No. 11 Vanderbilt bounced back after losing the doubles point to sweep all six singles matches en route to a 6-1 win over No. 57 Missouri Sunday afternoon at the Currey Tennis Center.
The Commodores (10-5, 3-1) bounced back from a tough loss Friday night to the fourth-ranked Texas A&M Aggies to hand Missouri (6-5, 0-4) its fourth-straight loss.
Vanderbilt looked sluggish to start the day in doubles and Missouri would take full advantage by winning on courts Nos. 2 and 3. Elisha Gabb and Madison Rhyner took down Frances Altick and Georgina Sellyn at No. 3, 8-4. Maria Christensen and Rachel Stuhlmann then clinched the doubles point at No. 2 with a win over Courtney Colton and Lauren Mira, 8-4.
In singles, the Commodores played like the 11th-ranked team in the country by sweeping all six singles matches. At No. 1, Mira defeated Cierra Gaytan-Leach in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1. The win for the Baton Rouge, La., native was the 70th of her career.
Marie Casares took down Stuhlmann, 6-2, 6-2, at the No. 2 spot. Colton delivered that match-clinching win at No. 3 with her win over Christensen, 6-1, 6-0. The freshman from Davie, Fla., won her team-leading 17th match of the season.
In the longest, and only three-set match of the day, Sellyn defeated Gabb, 7-5, 3-6, 10-7. When playing in the No. 4 position this season, Sellyn is a perfect 8-0 and now 4-0 in SEC play.
Altick and Ashleigh Antal delivered the two quickest performances of the day at the Nos 6 and 5 positions. Altick cruised through her opponent, Rhyner, without dropping a single game, 6-0, 6-0, while improving her win streak to seven matches. Altick is sporting an 11-2 record in dual play and 4-0 record to start SEC competition.
Antal won her fourth-straight match with all of them coming at the No. 5 spot. Antal defeated Alex Clark, 6-2, 6-1, to run her record to 11-1 in dual action.
Vanderbilt wraps up its four-match homestand next weekend with visits from Mississippi State on Friday, March 15 (4 p.m. CT) and Ole Miss on Sunday, March 17 (1 p.m. CT).
1. No. 60 Lauren Mira (Vanderbilt) def. No. 107 Cierra Gaytan-Leach (Mizzou) 6-2, 6-1
2. Marie Casares (Vanderbilt) def. Rachel Stuhlmann (Missouri) 6-2, 6-2
3. Courtney Colton (Vanderbilt) def. Maria Christensen (Missouri) 6-1, 6-0
4. No. 64 Georgina Sellyn (Vanderbilt) def. Elisha Gabb (Missouri) 7-5, 3-6, 10-7
5. Ashleigh Antal (Vanderbilt) def. Alex Clark (Missouri) 6-2, 6-1
6. Frances Altick (Vanderbilt) def. Madison Rhyner (Missouri) 6-0, 6-0
1. Antal/Casares (Vanderbilt) vs. Gaytan-Leach/Clark (Missouri) 7-5, unfinished
2. Christensen/Stuhlmann (Missouri) def. No. 29 Colton/Mira (Vandy) 8-4
3. Gabb/Rhyner (Missouri) def. Altick/Sellyn (Vanderbilt) 8-4
Order of Finish