Altamonte Springs, FL—The top-ranked Brigham Young University Hawaii women’s tennis was upset by third-ranked Lynn today in the opening round of the NCAA II National Tournament. The Seasiders lost two of the three doubles matches and then fell in three singles matches to lose 5-1 and close the season with a 27-1 record.
BYU-Hawaii fell behind quickly in the match with a loss at number three doubles followed by an upset of the Seasiders’ top-ranked doubles team of Elwen Li Boud and Yuan Jia at number one doubles. Annie Hwang and Shawni Porter got the Seasiders on the board with an 8-6 win at number two doubles, but it would prove to be the only point of the day for BYU-Hawaii.
Lynn picked up wins in straight sets at numbers two, four, and five singles to close out the match. Hwang was leading her match at number one singles and Boud was up a set at number three singles when play was stopped.
1. #1 Annie Hwang, BYUH vs. #5 Magdalena Ekert, Lynn 6-0, 5-3 DNF
2. #9 Eleonora Iannozzi, Lynn def. #2 Yuan Jia, BYUH 6-1, 6-3
3. #4 Elwen Li, BYUH vs. #15 Isabell Raich, Lynn 6-4, 1-1 DNF
4. #27 Ioana Ivan, Lynn def. Salina Aranda, BYUH 6-1, 6-2
5. #32 Jessica Yanoff, Lynn def. Shawni Porter, BYUH 6-2, 6-1
6. Andrea Berkova, Lynn vs. Sasha Ulbrichtova, BYUH 6-4, 2-2 DNF
1. #4 Iannozzi/Ivan, Lynn def. #1 Jia/Li, BYUH 8-3
2. #14 Hwang/Porter, BYUH def. #11 Ekert/Raich, Lynn 8-6
3. Yanoff/Berkova, Lynn def. Ulbrichtova/Aranda, BYUH 8-2