Blue Devils Sweep Yale 4-0, Advance to Next Round
DURHAM, N.C. – The Duke women’s tennis team swept Yale, 4-0, in the second round of the NCAA Tournament to advance to the round of 16 in Stanford, Calif. The Blue Devils will face ACC foe and No. 14 overall seed Georgia Tech on Friday at 9 a.m. (PT).
For the second day in a row Duke dominated the match in doubles and singles. In doubles, Duke grabbed an early advantage when Ellah Nze and Rachel Kahan dismantled their opponent on court one. The No. 52 doubles pair picked up their 10th win of the season with an 8-0 decision. The final doubles match came down to Nadine Fahoum and Hanna Mar as they clinched the doubles point for the Blue Devils with an 8-4 win on court two.
Duke began singles were they left off yesterday and claimed five out of six first sets. Senior Elizabeth Plotkin, playing in the No. 4 spot, dropped just a single point in the match as she cruised to a 6-0, 6-1, win. Minutes after Plotkin put the Blue Devils on top 2-0, Rachel Kahan picked up her 28th consecutive win and remains unbeaten in dual matches this season. Kahan’s 6-2, 6-3, win on court five put Duke up 3-0 and one step closer to the next round.
Sophomore Mary Clayton, playing in the No. 6 slot, sealed the win for the Blue Devils for the second straight day and picked up her 30th win of the season. Clayton sent Duke to the round of 16 with a 6-1, 6-2, decision.
Mary Clayton Postmatch Interview
Duke is making its fourth consecutive appearance and 10th overall appearance to the round of 16, and has posted a 6-3 overall record in the round of 16 since it started in 2000. The Blue Devils improved to 24-4 overall on the season and are now 49-20 in NCAA Tournament action.
Tennis Match Results
#3 Duke 4, #30 Yale 0
May 15, 2011 at Durham, N.C. (Ambler Tennis Stadium)
1. #39 Nadine Fahoum (DU) vs. Elizabeth Epstein (YALE) 4-6, 1-2, unfinished
2. #106 Ellah Nze (DU) vs. Vicky Brook (YALE) 6-2, 2-3, unfinished
3. #20 Reka Zsilinszka (DU) vs. Blair Seideman (YALE) 6-2, 3-0, unfinished
4. #72 Elizabeth Plotkin (DU) def. Steph Kent (YALE) 6-0, 6-1
5. #89 Rachel Kahan (DU) def. Annie Sullivan (YALE) 6-2, 6-3
6. #83 Mary Clayton (DU) def. Stevi Petrelli (YALE) 6-1, 6-2
1. #52 Ellah Nze/Rachel Kahan (DU) def. Annie Sullivan/Lindsay Clark (YALE) 8-0
2. #55 Nadine Fahoum/Hanna Mar (DU) def. Elizabeth Epstein/Vicky Brook (YALE) 8-4
3. #90 Mary Clayton/Monica Gorny (DU) vs. Kim Szokol/Blair Seideman (YALE) 6-4, unfinished
Yale 22-5; National ranking #30
Duke 24-4; National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (4,5,6)