In a rematch of the finals from 2 years ago, it was UCLA jumping out to the 1-0 lead by grabbing the doubles point rather easily. The Bruins then rode that momentum from the doubles point and picked up 5 1st sets and looked like they were going to cruise to a 4-0 shutout but Duke dug in their heels and mounted a tremendous comeback.
After Kaitlin Ray put UCLA up 2-0 with a 1 & 1 win at #6 her teammate Catherine Harrison extended the lead to 3-0 with a 3 & 4 win at #5. Duke started making up ground by picking up one second set after another with Alyssa Smith, Beatrice Capra, and Hanna Mar all forcing a 3rd set supertiebreak.
Smith would put Duke's 1st point on the board with a 3-6, 6-1, 10-8 win at #4 over Kyle McPhillips and a few minutes later Ester Goldfeld would make it a 2nd point with a straight set win at #2 over Chanelle Van Nguyen 6-4, 7-5. With UCLA still leading 3-2 Duke's Beatrice Capra would finish off her comeback at #1 and knot it at 3-3 with a 1-6, 6-3, 10-7 win over UCLA's Robin Anderson.
Despite the 3 straight points to tie it at 3 things still looked grim for Duke because on the lone remaining court at #3 UCLA's Jennifer Brady was serving for the match up 6-3, 5-4. Duke's Hanna Mar refused to go away and quickly broke Brady to tie it at 5 and then after each held they went to a 2nd set tiebreak. Mar became the much more consistant of the two in the 2nd set tiebreak and subsequent 3rd set supertiebreaker by mainly keeping the ball in play while Brady because frusturated and missed shot after shot. In the end it was Hanna Mar bringing Duke the ITA National Team Indoor Championship with a 3-6, 7-6(3), 10-3 victory.
Duke University 4, UCLA 3
Feb 10, 2014 at Charlottesville, Va. (Boar's Head Sports Club)
1. #3 Beatrice Capra (DU) def. #1 Robin Anderson (UCLA) 1-6, 6-3, 10-7
2. #45 Ester Goldfeld (DU) def. #9 Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) 6-4, 7-5
3. #49 Hanna Mar (DU) def. #24 Jennifer Brady (UCLA) 3-6, 7-6 (7-3), 10-3
4. Alyssa Smith (DU) def. #36 Kyle McPhillips (UCLA) 3-6, 6-1, 10-8
5. Catherine Harrison (UCLA) def. Rachel Kahan (DU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Kaitlin Ray (UCLA) def. Marianne Jodoin (DU) 6-1, 6-1
1. #1 Robin Anderson/Jennifer Brady (UCLA) def. Beatrice Capra/Hanna Mar (DU) 6-2
2. Catherine Harrison/Kyle McPhillips (UCLA) def. Ester Goldfeld/Alyssa Smith (DU) 6-1
3. Courtney Dolehide/Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) vs. Annie Mulholland/Chalena Scholl (DU) 4-4, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (6,5,4,2,1,3)