The Gusties started their Midwest spring season with three victories in three different cities. Responsibilities were split as some of the team stayed in St. Peter and others went on the road. Action began at 10:30 a.m. in St. Cloud and the team emerged with a hard earned 6-3 victory over a tough St. Cloud State team. They are the top ranked Division II team in the upper Midwest. Gustavus swept the doubles convincingly, but only split the singles. Third set super breakers determined four of the singles matches.
Back in St. Peter at 1:30 p.m. twelve other team members played Minnesota State-Mankato, another Division II team. Here the Gusties struggled in the doubles, but dominated the singles. Eric Ice led with a convincing 6-0, 6-0 victory over Chad Berger. Later at 6 p.m. in Fargo the same players who beat St. Cloud State earlier in the day faced Concordia in a MIAC season opener for both teams. The Gusties prevailed in dominating fashion, winning 9-0 and allowing the Cobbers no more than four games in any match. The victories bring the 2009 record to 3-2.
Now all attention is directed to the Division III National Indoor, hosted by Gustavus from February 20 to 22. Eight of the top teams in the country will compete. The Gusties have won the title four out of the last seven years, but this year they are picked to finish sixth. They play #3 ranked Claremont at 5 p.m. on Friday, February 20 in first round action. Admission is free!
GUSTAVUS 6 ST. CLOUD STATE 3
St. Cloud, MN, February 14, 20091) John Kauss/Mike Burdakin (GA) def. Wojciech Batorski/Mike Master (SCSU) 8-2
2) Charlie Paukert/Nick Hansen (GA) def. Ryan Schoenefeld/Kris Johnson (SCSU) 8-1
3) Ashok Jethwa/Pat Clark (GA) def. Shane Ecklund/Jeremy Thompson (SCSU) 8-4
1) Wojciech Batorski (SCSU) def. John Kauss (GA) 0-6, 7-6(6), (10-8)
2) Mike Master (SCSU) def. Mike Burdakin (GA) 7-5, 6-1
3) Charlie Paukert (GA) def. Ryan Schoenefeld (SCSU) 4-6, 6-2 (10-8)
4) Kris Johnson (SCSU) def. Pat Clark (GA) 6-4, 3-6 (10-7)
5. Ashok Jethwa (GA) def. Shane Ecklund (SCSU) 6-2, 4-6 (10-6)
6. Nick Hansen (GA) def. Kevin Bauleke (SCSU) 6-3, 6-4
GUSTAVUS 7 MINNESOTA STATE-MANKATO 2 St. Peter, MN, February 14, 2009
1) John Julian/Chris Webber (MSU) def. Ryan Hallsten/Josh Knutson (GA) 8-5
2) Matt Nelson/Brooks Stapleton (GA) def. Adam Doll/Marco Vazquez (MSU) 8-6
3) Chad Berger/Castrow (MSU) def. Caleb Kauss/Pat Pisani (GA) 8-5
1) Ben Tomasek (GA) def. John Julian (MSU) 6-4, 6-2
2) Pete Wright (GA) def. Chris Webber (MSU) 6-2, 6-0
3) Dave Koppel (GA) def. Marco Vazquez (MSU) 6-2, 6-1
4) Daniel Pomeranc (GA) def. Adam Doll (MSU) 6-4, 6-1
5) Krishan Jethwa (GA) def. Dan Zastrow (MSU) 6-0, 6-1
6) Eric Ice (GA) def. Chad Berger (MSU) 6-0, 6-0.
GUSTAVUS 9 CONCORDIA 0 Fargo, ND, February 14, 2009
1) John Kauss/Mike Burdakin (GA) def. Matt Edin/Kirby Johnson (C) 8-3
2) Charlie Paukert/Nick Hansen (GA) def. Chad Smith/Jordan Swanson (C) 8-3
3) Ashok Jethwa/Pat Clark (GA) def. Arnie Andreason/Bryn Homoth (C) 8-3
1) John Kauss (GA) def. Matt Edin (C) 6-2, 6-2
2) Charlie Paukert (GA) def. Chad Smith (C) 6-0, 6-2
3) Mike Burdakin (GA) def Kirby Johnson (C) 6-2, 6-0
4) Pat Clark (GA) def. Jordan Swanson (C) 6-3. 6-1
5. Ashok Jethwa (GA) def. Justin LaBeaux (C) 6-2, 6-2
6. Nick Hansen (GA) def. Bryn Homoth (C) 6-0, 6-0