Gustavus tennis men win Miac post season playoff, Kauss and Burdakin selected for NCAA singles & doubles
Gustavus beat St. Thomas 9-0 in the semifinals and St. Olaf 8-1 in the finals to capture its third consecutive MIAC post-season playoff. The top six MIAC teams, including St. John's, Bethel, and Carleton participated in playoff action at Gustavus on Friday, May 1 and Saturday, May 2.
Until two years ago the spring season ended with a conference tournament that included all conference teams. It played a major role in determining the MIAC title. Now dual matches alone determine the conference title, which Gustavus clinched in April with victories over St. Thomas and Macalester. In the last 40 years Gustavus has lost only one conference dual match.
The playoff title guarantees Gustavus a spot in the NCAA III championship. One of eight regional tournaments begins Friday at Gustavus. Luther College plays Concordia University from Milwaukee at 2 p.m. and the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater goes against the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire at 4:30 p.m. On Saturday at 9 a.m. the University of Texas-Tyler faces the Luther-Concordia winner and at 3 p.m. Gustavus takes on the winner of the Whitewater-Eau Claire match. The championship match will be at noon on Sunday. Eight regional champions will advance to the NCAA III national championship at Claremont-Mudd-Scripps in Claremont, California from May 19 to 21.
Following the national team championship individual champions in singles and doubles will be crowned. Today 32 singles players and 16 doubles teams were picked. Heading the field in singles is John Kauss from Gustavus, 24-0 in Division III for the year. Also John and partner Mike Burdakin were selected for doubles. They are the top-ranked team in the Midwest Region.
GUSTAVUS 9 ST. THOMAS 0 St. Peter, MN, May 2, 2009
1) John Kauss/Mike Burdakin (GA) def. Phil Hanke/Kevin Walker (ST) 8-2
2) Charlie Paukert/Ben Tomasek (GA) def. Drew Carlson/Matt Bergstrom (ST) 8-0
3) Dave Koppel/Pat Clark (GA) def. Andy Michels/Dan Cooper (ST) 8-5
1) John Kauss (GA) def. Phil Hanke (ST) 6-0, 6-1
2) Mike Burdakin (GA) def. Andy Michels (ST) 6-3, 6-3
3) Charlie Paukert (GA) def. Kevin Walker (ST) 6-1, 7-6 (3)
4) Ben Tomasek (GA) def. Drew Carlson (GA) 6-1, 6-2
5) Pat Clark (GA) def. Dan Cooper (ST) 7-5, 6-1
6) Nick Hansen (GA) def. Matt Bergstrom (ST) 6-1, 6-3
GUSTAVUS 8 ST. OLAF 1 St. Peter, MN, May 2, 2009
1) Mike Burdakin/John Kauss (GA) def. Knute Gunderson/Ian Pray (SO) 8-4
2) Ben Tomasek/Charlie Paukert (GA) def. David Narvaez/Brian Tolly (SO) 8-3
3) Nick Hansen/Kevin Stickney (GA) def. Will Mitchell/John Wight (SO) 8-5
1) John Kauss (GA) def. Ian Pray (SO) 6-1, 6-3
2) Mike Burdakin (GA) def. Knute Gunderson (SO) 6-3, 6-1
3) Charlie Paukert (GA) def. David Narvaez (SO) 6-4, 6-2
4) Ben Tomasek (GA) def. Brain Tolly (SO) 6-2, 6-2
5) John Wight (SO) def. Kevin Stickney (GA) 4-6, 6-2 (10-8)
6) Pat Clark (GA) def. Nick Hubbard-Peters (SO) 6-4, 6-4
Exhibition: Ashok Jethwa (GA) def. Joe McDevitt (SO) 8-3
Dave Koppel (GA) def. Will Mitchell (SO) 8-2