Gustavus men's tennis defeats Carleton 8-1
The Gusties traveled to Northfield, MN on April 9 to face conference rival Carleton. For the past several years Carleton has finished second in the MIAC behind Gustavus. This year Carleton added four outstanding freshmen and three of them played at the top of their lineup. #1 doubles and #2 singles were closely contested. Mike Burdakin emerged victorious in both matches, winning the doubles with John Kauss and the singles in a super breaker. With the 8-1 victory over Carleton Gustavus increased its season record to 19-8 and its conference record to 7-0.
This weekend the team participates in the Relay for Life on Friday evening. They hope to be the top campus fundraiser for cancer research for the fourth consecutive year. On Sunday, April 19 part of the team plays Kalamazoo College at 10 a.m. in Milwaukee while others travel to Waverly, IA to make up a postponed match with Wartburg College at 1 p.m.
GUSTAVUS 8 CARLETON 1 April 9, 2009, Northfield, MN
1) John Kauss (GA) def. Ben Guzick (C) 6-4, 6-1
2) Mike Burdakin (GA) def. Dan Vollman (C) 6-2, 6-7(5), 10-8
3) Peter Dunn (C) def. Charlie Paukert (GA) 6-4, 6-4
4) Ben Tomasek (GA) def. Winston Park (C) 6-1, 6-2
5) Pat Clark (GA) def. Jon Aranda (C) 6-2, 6-2
6) Nick Hansen (GA) def. Austin Taylor (C) 6-1, 6-1
Exhibition: Eric Ice (GA) def. Sam Megowon (C) 8-0
1) Jon Kauss/Mike Burdakin (GA) def. Winston Park/Dan Vollman (C) 9-7
2) Charlie Paukert/Ben Tomasek (GA) def. Ben Guzick/Jon Aranda (C) 8-5
3) Nick Hansen/Dave Koppel (GA) def. Peter Dunn/Jordan Hughes (C) 8-2