WOMEN'S TENNIS HOLDS OFF EVANSVILLE, 4-3
ORLANDO, Fla. – In addition to winning three singles matches that went the distance, Radford claimed the crucial doubles point on its way to a 4-3 victory over Evansville in non-conference women’s tennis action Thursday afternoon.
Four of the six singles matches required a third set, including two that were decided by 10-point tiebreakers due to rain and delays in the schedule.
The Highlanders got a pair of 8-6 triumphs by their second and third doubles teams to grab the team point, which proved to be the difference.
Radford’s singles victories came from Mia Drobnjak (3-6, 6-3, 6-3), Gemma Valls (6-7, 7-5, 10-8) and Meg Napolitano (6-3, 1-6, 6-3).
Both Drobnjak and Valls battled from a set down to lead the Highlanders to their fourth 4-3 decision of the 2012 campaign.
Radford (8-4) will continue its Spring Break trip to the Sunshine State with an 11:30 a.m. dual against South Dakota Friday.
Radford 4, Evansville 3
1. Dora Kotsiou (UE) def. Petra Dajevic (RU), 6-4, 6-1
2. Aleksandra Dzakula (UE) def. Hannah Crawford, 6-4, 5-7, 12-10
3. Mia Drobnjak (RU) def. Natasha James (UE) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Gemma Valls (RU) def. Mina Milovic (RU), 6-7, 7-5, 10-8
5. Gaby Fifer (UE) def. Taylor Newman (RU), 6-4, 6-4
6. Meg Napolitano (RU) def. Kelsey Costales (UE), 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
1. Dora Kotsiou / Natasha James (UE) def. Mia Drobnjak / Taylor Newman (RU), 8-5
2. Meg Napolitano / Hannah Crawford (RU) def. Emily Richardson / Kelsey Costales (UE), 8-6
3. Gemma Valls / Petra Dajevic (RU) def. Aleksandra Dzakula / Jessica Raatz (UE), 8-6