Men's Tennis Falls to No. 65 UC Santa Barbara
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. -
The University of Nevada men’s tennis team fell 6-1 to No. 65 UC Santa Barbara Sunday afternoon.
The loss dropped Nevada to 5-6 (0-1 WAC), while UCSB improved to 8-6 (2-1 Big West).
“We had several match points in doubles at No. 1 to win and we couldn't seem to get over the hump,” head coach Erik Burton said. "UCSB has a good team, but I know our team had just as much talent and we just didn’t perform our best at several key moments."
Senior Jordan Rozenfeld had the lone win for Nevada in the final match of the day, defeating Axel Bouillin 6-2, 0-6, 7-5.
Nevada will remain in southern California to play its second Western Athletic Conference match of the year tomorrow afternoon when the team faces Hawai’i at 1:30 p.m.
“We really need to dig our heels into our tennis performances to have a strong showing this year in our WAC matches. Winning our second conference match tomorrow will be key to gaining some momentum as the season continues.”
#65 UCSB 6 - Nevada 1
1. Mathieu Forget/Mbonisi Ndimande (UCSB) def. Derbel/Sunago 9-8
2. Axel Bouilin/Alex Johnson (UCSB) def. Reix/Chargui 8-6
3. Ouvrard/Mege def. Sultan/Gryaznov (UCSB) Nevada 9-8
1. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) def. Wessim Derbel 7-6,5-7 (12-10)
2. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) def. Victor Ouvrard 6-2,6-2
3. Mbonisi Ndimande (UCSB) def. Moez Chargui 5-7,6-4 (10-7)
4. Greg Scott (UCSB) def. Quentin Mege 6-1,6-0
5. Ziad Sultan (UCSB) def. Fernando Sunago 6-4,6-0
6. Jordan Rozenfield def. Axel Bouillin (UCSB) 6-2,0-6, 7-5