Privateer Men's Tennis Wins Sixth Straight, Defeat UT-Arlington
ARLINGTON, Texas - The University of New Orleans men's tennis team defeated UT-Arlington 4-3 on Saturday afternoon at the UTA Tennis Center.
The Privateers, ranked No. 75 in the country improved their record to 6-0 on the season, but not before seeing the Mavericks (1-3) nearly put a blemish on their unbeaten mark.
Jose Gaspar at No. 5 singles went the distance in the opening set in what became the deciding match on the day. Gaspar claimed victory with a 7-6 (8), 6-4 victory over Jason Lateko.
The win was one of three singles' victories for UNO on the day. Calvin Kemp defeated Brieuc Hamon 6-4, 6-3 in No. 1 singles, Ben Smith knocked off Adam Srkala 7-6 (4), 6-0 in No. 4 singles and Oliver Cuthill won in straight sets, 6-4,6-1 over Gonzalo Bienzobas at No. 6.
Vinay Kamineni suffered his first defeat on the season at No. 2 singles. Kamineni, who was playing ill, fell in three sets to Mindaugas Celedinas 6-1, 3-6, 6-4. Dmitry Minkin provided UTA with their other singles' victory, a 6-4, 6-4 win over Guilherme Rebolo at No. 3 singles.
The Privateers did not start the day on a good note, seeing their string of five straight doubles' points coming to an end.
Gaspar and Smith provided UNO with their lone doubles' victory in the three matches, beating Hamon and Srkala 9-8 (5) in a tiebreaker.
Next on the court for the Privateers is a matchup against No. 46 SMU. The match at the Turpin Tennis Stadium will get underway at 12 p.m.
#75 University of New Orleans 4, UT-Arlington 3
Feb 07, 2009 at Arlington, Texas (UTA Tennis Center)
1. Calvin Kemp (UNO) def. Brieuc Hamon (UTAM) 6-4, 6-3
2. Mindaugas Celedinas (UTAM) def. Vinay Kamineni (UNO) 6-1, 3-6, 6-4
3. Dmitry Minkin (UTAM) def. Guilherme Rebolo (UNO) 6-4, 6-4
4. Ben Smith (UNO) def. Adam Srkala (UTAM) 7-6 (7-4), 6-0
5. Jose Gaspar (UNO) def. Jason Lateko (UTAM) 7-6 (10-8), 6-4
6. Oliver Cuthill (UNO) def. Gonzalo Bienzobas (UTAM) 6-4, 6-1
1. Mindaugas Celedinas/Dmitry Minkin (UTAM) def. Guilherme Rebolo/Calvin Kemp (UNO) 8-3
2. Jose Gaspar/Ben Smith (UNO) def. Brieuc Hamon/Adam Srkala (UTAM) 9-8 (7-5)
3. Gonzalo Bienzobas/David Subirats (UTAM) def. Vinay Kamineni/Oliver Cuthill (UNO) 8-3
University of New Orleans 6-0; National ranking #75