Cuthill Wins Deciding Match as UNO Men's Tennis Ends Four Dual Skid
NEW ORLEANS - After over four hours of dual competition on Wednesday afternoon, the match between the University of New Orleans and Southeastern Louisiana came down to the No. 6
tennis court, where Oliver Cuthill would close out the day's competition with a three-set victory, giving the Privateers a 4-3 victory.
After the squad had dropped their last four dual matches, Cuthill lifted UNO (7-4) with a 6-4, 6-7, 6-4 victory over Alexis Biarneix at No. 6 singles. The match was one of four
singles' victories for the Privateers over the Lions (5-3),
In addition to Cuthill's win, two of the other UNO wins went the distance. Calvin Kemp at No. 1 and Vinay Kamineni at No. 2 rallied from a set down to claim victories. Kemp
defeated Stepan Siska 3-6, 6-1, 6-2 while Kaminieni topped Benjamin Enke 5-7, 6-4, 6-1.
The other win for the Privateers came at No. 5, where Jose Gaspar defeated Pavol Derkay 6-2, 6-0.
Winners for the SLU in singles' play were Damien Cordoba at No. 3 and and Guillaume Capovin at No. 4. Cordoba defeated Guilherme Rebolo 6-1, 6-2 while Capovin would prevail over
Ben Smith 6-4, 5-7, 7-6 (4).
Doubles' play featured a lineup change once more for UNO as head coach Burzis Kanga continues to try different pairings to bring to an end the current doubles' skid, which was extended to six with today's setback.
SLU won two of the three, taking the No. 1 and No. 3 matches. Enke and Siska defeated Kemp and Smith 8-5 at No. 1 while Capovin and Cordoba claimed a matching 8-5 result against
Gaspar and Kamineni.
The Privateers' tandem of Rebolo and Cuthill, paired for the first time this year, defeating Biarneix and Derkay 8-3.
UNO will next take to the court on Mar. 6 when they host Xavier at the University Tennis Center at 3 p.m..
University of New Orleans 4, Southeastern Louisiana 3
Feb 25, 2009 at New Orleans, La. (University Tennis Center)
1. Calvin Kemp (UNO) def. Stepan Siska (SLU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
2. Vinay Kamineni (UNO) def. Benjamin Enke (SLU) 5-7, 6-4, 6-1
3. Damien Cordoba (SLU) def. Guilherme Rebolo (UNO) 6-1, 6-2
4. Guillaume Capovin (SLU) def. Ben Smith (UNO) 6-4, 5-7, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Jose Gaspar (UNO) def. Pavol Derkay (SLU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Oliver Cuthill (UNO) def. Alexis Biarneix (SLU) 6-4, 6-7, 6-4
1. Benjamin Enke/Stepan Siska (SLU) def. Ben Smith/Calvin Kemp (UNO) 8-5
2. Guilherme Rebolo/Oliver Cuthill (UNO) def. Alexis Biarneix/Pavol Derkay (SLU) 8-3
3. Guillaume Capovin/Damien Cordoba (SLU) def. Jose Gaspar/Vinay Kamineni (UNO) 8-5