Tulsa, Okla. - The 71st ranked USD Men's Tennis team wrapped up their midwest roadtrip at the 29th ranked Univesity of Tulsa, dropping a 5-2 decision to the Hurricanes Tuesday afternoon at the confines of the Michael D. Case Tennis Center. San Diego was unable to secure a win on the roadtrip against four ITA ranked opponents, falling to 4-11 in the Spring season.
The match began outdoors, as USD captured the doubles point with wins at No. 2 (Dean Jackson/Nils Schive def. Cunningham/Watling, 8-6) and No. 3 (John Devillier/Tom Wolff def. James Seagraves/Wojciech Starakiewicz, 8-2).
Soon after the start of singles play, action was moved inside due to poor weather conditions. The Hurricanes quickly tied up the match when at No. 4 Ashley Watling defeated freshman Nicola Bubnic in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2. But San Diego countered, recapturing the lead with the win at No. 3 by senior Chris Coetzee over Philip Stephens in consecutive sets, 6-3, 6-4.
In seesaw fashion, Tulsa came back, pulled even on the next match when Marko Ballok beat sophomore Nils Schive, 3-6, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 6.
The Hurricanes then went ahead 3-2 on ITA's 3rd ranked Arnau Brugues's victory over sophomore Dean Jackson (#81) at No. 1. In three sets (2-6, 6-4, 6-2), Brugues earned the win and also set the record for Tulsa's all-time caeer singles wins. This is the second straight match Jackson has faced a player ranked in the ITA Top-10.
The clinch came at No. 2, as junior Charl Wolmarans was challenged by Tulsa's, Alberto Sottocorno, coming up short 4-6, 6-3, 7-6. The match finished with No. 5 singles, as freshman Tom Wolff dropped a tough decision to Wojciech Starakiewicz 7-6 (1), 4-6, 7-6 (2).
San Diego returns home this week for a match scheduled Friday, March 13th against Georgia State at 10:00 a.m. PT.
#71 University of San Diego v. #29 University of Tulsa
Michael D. Case Tennis Center - Tulsa, Okla.
1. #3 Brugues/Stephens (TLS) def. Coetzee/Wolmarans (USD), 8-2
2. Jackson/Schive (USD) def. Cunningham/Watling (TLS), 8-6
3. Devillier/Wolff (USD) def. Seagraves/Starakiewicz (TLS), 8-2
USD wins doubles point.
1. #3 Arnau Brugues (TLS) def. #81 Dean Jackson (USD), 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
2. Alberto Sottocorno (TLS) def. Charl Wolmarans (USD), 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 (4)
3. Chris Coetzee (USD) def. Philip Stephens (TLS), 6-3, 6-4
4. Ashley Watling (TLS) def. Nicola Bubnic (USD), 6-3, 6-2
5. Wojciech Starakiewicz (TLS) def. Tom Wolff (USD), 7-6 (1), 4-6, 7-6 (2)
6. Marko Ballok (TLS) def. Nils Schive (USD), 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish:4, 3, 6, 1, 2, 5
Tulsa wins match, 5-2.
Match Records: #71 University of San Diego (WCC 4-11), #29 Tulsa (C-USA 12-5)