March 13, 2009
San Diego, Calif. (Barnes Tennis Center) - The University of San Diego Men's Tennis team broke their five match losing streak Friday at the Barnes Tennis Center with a 6-1 win against the Panthers of Georgia State. San Diego won five of six singles matches in straight sets.
Doubles action kicked off the afternoon, as San Diego won matches at both No. 1 and No. 2. Sophomore Nils Schive and sophomore Dean Jackson defeated Georgia State's, Trenton Spinks and Jackson Moore, 8-1 on Court 1. USD's tandem, senior Chris Coetzee and junior Charl Wolmarans topped William Adeimy and Lucas Thomaz, 8-2.
With a 1-0 lead heading into singles play, the Toreros would dominate the remainer of the match, winning on all courts, with the exception of Court 2, as Coetzee would retire due to a nagging shoulder injury. All remaining singles matches were won in straight sets by USD. Schive (def. William Adeimy, 6-1, 6-4) and #81 Jackson (def. Henri Mangin, 6-2, 6-1) captured wins at No. 5 and 6. Also, Wolmarans earned a win over Lucas Thomaz, 6-2, 6-2.
Sophomore Jose Manuel Munoz returned to the starting lineup, earning the victory at No. 6 over Orlando Battaglia, 6-1, 6-2. And at No. 4, freshman Tom Wolff wrapped up the almost sweep by downing Trenton Spinks, 6-4, 6-0.
San Diego returns to action Monday against Princeton for a 1:30 p.m. PT match at the USD West Tennis Courts.
#71 University of San Diego v. Georgia State
Barnes Tennis Center - San Diego, Calif.
1. Nils Schive/Dean Jackson (USD) def. Trenton Spinks/Jackson Moore (GS), 8-1
2. Chris Coetzee/Charl Wolmarans (USD) def. William Adeimy/Lucas Thomaz (GS), 8-2
3. Orlando Battaglia/Henri Mangin def. Tom Wolff/John Devillier (USD), 8-4
USD wins doubles point.
1. #81 Dean Jackson (USD) def. Henri Mangin (GS), 6-2, 6-1
2. Jackson Moore (GS) def. Chris Coetzee (USD), 6-4, 2-6, ret. (injury)
3. Charl Wolmarans (USD) def. Lucas Thomaz (GS), 6-2, 6-2
4. Tom Wolff (USD) def. Trenton Spinks (GS), 6-4, 6-0
5. Nils Schive (USD) def. William Adeimy (GS), 6-1, 6-4
6. Jose Manuel Munoz (USD) def. Orlando Battaglia (GS), 6-1, 6-2
USD wins match, 6-1.
Match Records: #50 University of San Diego (WCC 5-11), Georgia State (CAA 0-15)