San Diego, Calif. - The USD Men's Tennis team wrapped up its regular season, falling to the No. 74 Gauchos of UC Santa Barbara 4-3 on the home courts of the USD West Tennis Complex. The Toreros will finish 7-13 on the 2009 season before moving in to WCC Championship play.
The doubles point went to the Gauchos, as San Diego was unable to secure but one win in the tandem competition. On Court 3, freshman Tom Wolff and junior Charl Wolmarans defeated Nick Caledonia and Alex Gushner, 9-8, but UCSB would win at both No. 1 and 2 to secure the initial point.
Moving in to singles, playing at the No. 1 position, sophomore Dean Jackson trumped Alexander Konigsfeldt in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2. In similar fashion, senior Chris Coetzee downed Max Taylor, 6-3, 7-5. The Toreros also received a victory at No. 6 as sophomore Nils Schive topped Devin Nerenberg, 6-4, 6-2.
But the Gauchos would prove to be too much for the Toreros, earning wins at No. 2, 3, and 5, securing a 4-3 win over San Diego.
The WCC Championships will get underway April 17th.
USD 3, UCSB 4
USD West Tennis Courts - San Diego, Calif.
1. Alexander Konigsfeldt/Josh Finkelstein (UCSB) def. Nils Schive/Dean Jackson (USD), 8-3
2. Scott Hohenstein/Evan Jurgensen (UCSB) def. Juan de Villiers/Chris Coetzee (USD), 9-7
3. Tom Wolff/Charl Wolmarans (USD) def. Nick Caledonia/Alex Gushner (UCSB), 9-8
UCSB wins doubles point.
1. Dean Jackson (USD) def. Alexander Konigsfeldt (UCSB), 6-1, 6-2
2. Josh Finkelstein (UCSB) def. Charl Wolmarans (USD), 6-2, 3-6, 3-6
3. Scott Hohenstein (UCSB) def. Nikola Bubnic (USD), 7-6, 7-5, 3-6
4. Chris Coetzee (USD) def. Max Taylor (UCSB), 6-3, 7-5
5. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) def. Tom Wolff (USD), 7-6, 6-3
6. Nils Schive (USD) def. Devin Nerenberg (UCSB), 6-4, 6-2, 6-2
UCSB wins match, 4-3.
Record: University of San Diego (7-13 WCC)