(Provo, Utah) - The USF men's tennis team opened a weekend swing through the state of Utah Friday afternoon with a 6-1 loss to No. 45 BYU in Provo. Thai Tu garnered the Dons' lone victory in singles action.
With the loss, San Francisco falls to 4-4 on the season.
BYU jumped out to an early lead in doubles play, taking all three doubles sets. The Dons came close at No. 2 and 3, but were unable to capture the point, falling 8-6 at both positions.
In singles action, Tu garnered USF's lone point of the afternoon thanks to a 7-5, 6-3 victory over No. 98 Shubert. San Francisco fell in straight sets at the remaining five singles spots.
The Dons resume play Saturday as they face No. 70 Utah in Salt Lake City.
No. 45 BYU-6
1. Mears/Shubert (BYU) def. Cohen/Tu (USF) 8-4
2. Smith/Urbina (BYU) def. Nachbauer/Schumacher (USF) 8-6
3. Batrakov/Hwang (BYU) def. DeCastro/Hart (USF) 8-6
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. T. Tu (USF) def. No. 98 T. Shubert (BYU) 7-5, 6-3
2. E. Urbina (BYU) def. R. Nachbauer (USF) 6-3, 6-2
3. C. Mears (BYU) def. A. Cohen (USF) 6-4, 6-2
4. G. Batrakov (BYU) def. O. Bakke (USF) 6-3, 6-2
5. S. Smith (BYU) def. M. DeCastro (USF) 6-2, 6-2
6. D. Hwang (BYU) def. J. Hartwig (USF) 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 3, 1, 5, 6