(Salt Lake City) The University of San Francisco men's tennis team earned a 4-3 victory over host No. 40 Utah Saturday in Salt Lake City. Ola Bakke clinched the win for the Dons with his first clinching victory of his collegiate career.
With the win, USF improves to 5-4 on the season and earned their second victory this season over a nationally-ranked foe.
"We knew it was going to be a close 4-3 type match," said head coach Peter Bartlett. "Our guys have been working hard lately to get a legitimate win over a very good program, like Utah. We battled the conditions and competed really well today."
San Francisco got out to a fast start, earning the doubles point. The Dons took the No. 2 spot with an 8-6 victory by William Schumacher and Rainer Nachbauer. At No. 3, Einar Hart and Mark DeCastro led the Dons to the point with an 8-4 victory over Allin and Suriane.
In singles action, Thai Tu earned his fifth straight victory with a straight-set, 6-2, 6-4 victory over Phillip Eilers. Schumacher garnered a point for USF at No. 6 with a 7-5, 6-3 win over Stephen Jacobs before Bakke captured the match for San Francisco with a 6-2, 2-6, 7-5 win against Alex Golding at No. 3.
USF will take the court again Sunday when they face Weber State at 10 a.m.
San Francisco 4, Utah 3
1) Thai Tu & Asaf Cohen vs Eilers & Godding = UTAH 8-4
2) Will Schumacher & Rainer Nachbauer = USF 8-6
3) Einar Hart & Mark De Castro vs Allin & Suriane = USF 8-4
1) Thai Tu vs Phillip Eilers = USF 6-2, 6-4
2) Einar Hart vs Jasen Smils = UTAH 6-0, 5-7, 6-3
3) Ola Bakke vs Alex Golding = USF 6-2, 2-6, 7-5
4) Mark De Castro vs Dmytro Mamedov = UTAH 6-2, 6-4
5) Jacob Hartwig vs Timmy Allin = UTAH 6-2, 6-2
6) Will Schumacher vs Stephen Jacobs = USF 7-5, 6-3