Hoosiers On a Roll with Fifth Straight Win
FRESNO, Calif. – The Hoosiers continued their winning streak by taking down the #43 Fresno State Bulldogs on Tuesday. Sophomore Lachlan Ferguson led the way, defeating #55 Rudolf Siwy at number one singles and joining freshman Stephen Vogl in a win at number two doubles, en route to a 5-2 Indiana victory.
Ferguson and Vogl were the first doubles match to finish up, winning 8-6. The Bulldogs evened it up by winning their own 8-6 match at number one doubles. Senior Peter Antons and freshman Maxime Armengaud put IU’s first tally in the scorebook by clinching the doubles point with a 9-7 victory in the third flight. The Bulldogs never led in the meet.
In singles action, the Bulldogs tied it up quickly with a win by Tejesvi Veereplai at number five. Freshman Jeremy Langer grabbed the Hoosier lead back with a 6-4, 6-1 win at number three, only to have Mirko Zapletal take the second flight match and knot it back up.
Freshmen Guy Kubi and Will Kendall and Ferguson then clinched the victory for Indiana with wins at four, six and one, respectfully. Ferguson’s win came over Siwy, the 55th ranked player in the nation. It is the Adelaide, Australia native’s fourth win over a ranked foe this season and the highest ranked opponent he has displaced since a Jan. 31 victory over then #42 Diego Cubas of South Carolina.
The Hoosiers return to action on March 25, when they visit the Louisville Cardinals for an interstate showdown. For complete coverage of IU tennis, stay tuned to www.IUHoosiers.com.
Doubles (Indiana wins the doubles point)
1. Siwy/Zapletal (FS) def. Gruter/Langer (IND) 8-6
2. Ferguson/Vogl (IND) def. Boutillier/De Villiers (FS) 8-6
3. Antons/Armengaud (IND) def. Veerepali/Leiby (FS) 9-7
Order of Completion: 2, 1, 3
1. Lachlan Ferguson (IND) def. Rudolf Siwy (FS) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
2. Mirko Zapletal (FS) def. Santiago Gruter (IND) 6-3, 6-1
3. Jeremy Langer (IND) def. Rikus de Villiers (FS) 6-4, 6-1
4. Guy Kubi (IND) def. Remi Boutillier (FS) 6-3, 6-4
5. Tejesvi Veereplai (FS) def. Maxime Armengaud (IND) 6-0, 6-2
6. Will Kendall (IND) def. Siddharth Alapati (FS) 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
Order of Completion: 5, 3, 2, 4, 1*, 6