LAS VEGAS -- The UNLV men's tennis team completed an opening-day sweep with a 7-0 victory over Weber State at the Fertitta Tennis Complex on Saturday evening. The Rebels downed Missouri-Kansas City earlier in the day to start their season.
UNLV (2-0) opened the late match by taking the doubles point after getting wins from its top two duos, Elliot Wronski and Luca Barlocchi at the No. 1 spot and Wesley Burrows and Mehdi Bouras at No. 2.
UNLV did not lose a set in singles play. No. 1 player Wronski fought off Sasche Kiehne 6-4, 6-1; Bouras won 6-3, 6-3 at No. 2; Barlocchi won 6-4, 6-2 at No. 3; Burrows won 6-0, 6-4 at No. 4; Attila Toth won 6-1, 6-4 at No. 5 and Nikolaj Wulf won 6-4, 6-2 on court six.
"A long day got even longer after a rain delay to start out but we had a good effort across the board," said UNLV head coach Owen Hambrook. "We had three freshmen in the lineup (Bouras, Toth and Wulff) tonight who got their spring season off to a good start."
Next up, the Rebels host San Francisco on Friday beginning at 10 a.m.
UNLV MEN'S TENNIS RESULTS
UNLV 7, WEBER STATE 0
At Fertitta Tennis Complex, Las Vegas
DOUBLES -- (UNLV EARNS ONE TEAM POINT)
SINGLES -- (UNLV EARNS SIX TEAM POINTS)
1. Elliot Wronski (UNLV) def. Sascha Kiehne (WSU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Mehdi Bouras (UNLV) def. Simon Unger (WSU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Luca Barlocchi (UNLV) def. Spencer Marchant (WSU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Wesley Burrows (UNLV) def. Chris Williams (WSU) 6-0, 6-4
5. Attila Toth (UNLV) def. Travis Covington (WSU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Nikolaj Wulff (UNLV) def. Cole Paterson (WSU) 6-4, 6-2
1. Wronski/Barlocchi (UNLV) def. Kiehne/Unger (WSU) 8-5
2. Burrows/Bouras (UNLV) def. Marchant/Williams (WSU) 8-6
3. Covington/Paterson (WSU) def. Bryan Miller/Toth(UNLV) 8-6