Stylish Senior Sendoff
Rebs blank Idaho State in final home appearance for Wronski and Burrows.
March 24, 2009
LAS VEGAS - The 65th-ranked UNLV men's tennis team sent its two seniors out in style on Tuesday morning with a 7-0 defeat of Idaho State at the Fertitta Tennis Complex.
The Rebels improved to 11-7 overall and closed their Las Vegas schedule with a mark of 11-5 as four-year starters Elliot Wronski and Wesley Burrows played their final home match.
The hosts began the morning by sweeping three doubles matches for one team point. The top duo of Wronksi and Luca Barlocchi, ranked 75th in the nation, fought off Javier Royo and Danel Barrenechea 8-6 at the No. 1 position. Attila Toth and Nikolaj Wulff won 8-1 on court two and Burrows and Mehdi Bouras teamed up for an 8-4 victory at No. 3.
UNLV also did not lose a set in singles play. Royo again pushed Wronski before the Rebel leader prevailed 7-6, 6-3 up top. Bouras won 6-2, 6-3 at No. 2, Burrows won his final Fertitta appearance 6-2, 6-0 at No. 3, Barlocchi won 6-1, 6-0 at No. 4, Wulff won 6-1, 6-2 at No. 5 and Matthew Kunkel breezed on court six, 6-0, 6-1.
"Elliot and Wes have been two unbelievable players for us over these four years and their contributions to our program on and off the courts will not be forgotten," said UNLV head coach Owen Hambrook. "They are both great competitors and outstanding students who I know will have great futures. We still have the conference schedule and then the postseason left, so we're looking forward to them finishing their careers on a strong note."
UNLV now departs for Colorado Springs, Colo., where the Rebels will open their Mountain West Conference season with a trio of matches this weekend, starting with San Diego State on Friday.
UNLV MEN'S TENNIS RESULTS
#65 UNLV 7, IDAHO STATE 0
At Fertitta Tennis Complex, Las Vegas
1. #75 Barlocchi/Wronski (UNLV) def. Royo/Barrenechea (ISU) 8-6
2. Attila Toth/Wulff (UNLV) def. Buceta/Dechant (ISU) 8-1
3. Bouras/Burrows (UNLV) def. Buckingham/David Kutchins (ISU) 8-4
1. Eilliot Wronski (UNLV) def. Javier Royo (ISU) 7-6, 6-3
2. Mehdi Bouras (UNLV) def. Danel Barrenechea (ISU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Wesley Burrows (UNLV) def. Alex Buceta (ISU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Luca Barlocchi (UNLV) def. Ross Dechant (ISU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Nikolaj Wulff (UNLV) def. Dan Buckingham (ISU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Matthew Kunkel (UNLV) def. Andres Mancero (ISU) 6-0, 6-1