First To 5-0
Rebels stay undefeated for first time since joining MWC with win over Cal Poly.
Feb. 6, 2009
LAS VEGAS - The 72nd-ranked UNLV men's tennis team stayed undefeated on the season with a 5-2 victory over Cal Poly on a cloudy Friday at the Fertitta Tennis Complex.
The Rebels improved to 5-0 for the first time since joining the Mountain West Conference in 1999 while the Mustangs fell to 1-3.
The hosts opened the morning by taking two of three doubles matches for one team point. Elliot Wronski and Luca Barlocchi improved to 9-1 overall this season with an 8-5 victory at the top spot over Andre Dome and Andrew Gerst. The Rebels earned the hard-fought point when Wesley Burrows and Attila Toth won 9-8 (7-5 in the tiebreaker) at the second position over Rob Foy and Darryn Young.
In singles play, Wronski, currently ranked 111th, won his eighth straight, 6-1, 2-6, 6-4 over Dome at No. 1. Bouras won in straight sets at No. 2, 6-1, 6-3 over Andy Gerst, while Barlocchi swept Sebastian Bell 6-0, 6-3 at No. 3. On court four, Burrows fought off Foy 7-5, 4-6, 6-3 for UNLV's final point of the day.
"Our doubles turned in some solid tennis to win a hotly contested point," head coach Owen Hambrook said. "While some of the guys were not playing their best tennis, the effort was there in singles as well. Now we have to get ready for another tough opponent on Saturday."
While rain is in the forecast, the Rebels are scheduled to return to the courts on Saturday to take on New Mexico State beginning with doubles at 10 a.m. Admission is free of charge.
UNLV MEN'S TENNIS RESULTS
#72 UNLV 5, CAL POLY 2
At Fertitta Tennis Complex, Las Vegas
DOUBLES -- (UNLV EARNS ONE TEAM POINT)
1. Wronski/Barlocchi (UNLV) def. Dome/Gerst (CP) 8-5
2. Burrows/Toth (UNLV) def. Foy/Young (CP) 9-8 (5)
3. Sonesson/Wardman (CP) def. Bryan Miller/Bouras (UNLV) 8-3
SINGLES -- (UNLV EARNS FOUR TEAM POINTS)
1. #111 Elliot Wronski (UNLV) def. Andre Dome (CP) 6-1, 2-6, 6-4
2. Mehdi Bouras (UNLV) def. Andrew Gerst (CP) 6-1, 6-3
3. Luca Barlocchi (UNLV) def. Sebastian Bell (CP) 6-0, 6-3
4. Wesley Burrows (UNLV) def. Robert Foy (CP) 7-5, 4-6, 6-3
5. Drew Jacobs (CP) def. Attila Toth (UNLV) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4