Rebels Shut Out NAU To Move To 9-2
Feb. 26, 2009
LAS VEGAS - The 75th-ranked UNLV men's tennis team won its fourth straight match, 7-0 over Northern Arizona, on a breezy Thursday at the Fertitta Tennis Complex.
The victory improved the Rebels to 9-2 on the season, matching the program's best start since boasting the same record in 1994.
Top Rebel player Elliot Wronski sat out the match, which made things interesting in doubles. With all three courts posting an 8-6 result, the hosts took the team point by winning two of them. Bryan Miller and Wesley Burrows teamed up for a victory at No. 1 while Mehdi Bouras and Attila Toth won on court three.
In singles play, the Rebels won in straight sets on five of six courts. Bouras stepped up to replace Wronski and won 6-2, 6-3 over David Flodberg at the top of the lineup to improve to a sparkling 10-1 in his freshman season. Luca Barlocchi, who rallied after dropping the opening set at No. 2, won 0-6, 6-1, 6-1 to up his record to 14-5. Burrows took his match 7-6, 6-1 to give him a team-leading 16-4 mark while Miller won at No. 4, Nikolaj Wulff at No. 5 and Toth blanked his opponent on court six.
"It was good to get the win on a windy day out there," said UNLV head coach Owen Hambrook. "Now we have to prepare for a very good Oklahoma team on Saturday."
The Rebels host the No. 56 Sooners on Saturday beginning with doubles play at 10 a.m. Admission is free of charge.
UNLV MEN'S TENNIS RESULTS
#75 UNLV 7, NORTHERN ARIZONA 0
At Fertitta Tennis Complex, Las Vegas
1. Miller/Burrows (UNLV) def. Reiff/Pezzutto (NAU) 8-6
2. Tracy/Flodberg (NAU) def. Barlocchi/Wulff (UNLV) 8-6
3. Bouras/Toth (UNLV) def. Arena/Jaco Visagie (NAU) 8-6
1. Mehdi Bouras (UNLV) def. David Flodberg (NAU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Luca Barlocchi (UNLV) def. Andrew Reif (NAU) 0-6, 6-1, 6-1
3. Wesley Burrows (UNLV) def. Chris Arena (NAU) 7-6, 6-1
4. Bryan Miller (UNLV) def. Jake Tracy (NAU0 7-5, 6-1
5. Nikolaj Wulff (UNLV) def. Robin Pezzutto (NAU) 7-5, 6-3
6. Attila Toth (UNLV) def. Brelin Powell (NAU) 6-0, 6-0