Rebs Complete Saturday Sweep
UNLV improves to 8-2 with 6-1 win over Utah State.
Feb. 21, 2009
LAS VEGAS - The 73rd-ranked UNLV men's tennis team improved to 8-2 on the season after winning the second of two matches Saturday at the Fertitta Tennis Complex, this time 6-1 over Utah State.
UNLV downed UC Riverside by the same score earlier in the day.
The Rebels won two of three doubles matches vs. the Aggies to take a 1-0 lead. Then, with Wronski sitting out the singles portion, freshman Mehdi Bouras moved up to the top spot and won 6-2, 6-3 over Jakob Asplund. Also winning in straight sets was Luca Barlocchi at No. 2, Bryan Miller at No. 4, Nikoljaj Wulff at No. 5 and Attila Toth on court six.
"I was pleased with our overall doubles play today," said UNLV head coach Owen Hambrook. "It was a long day of tennis and good to get through both matches with strong wins. Now we look forward to a good week of preparation."
UNLV is next in action on Thursday when it hosts Northern Arizona beginning at 2 p.m. Admission is free of charge.
UNLV MEN'S TENNIS RESULTS
#73 UNLV 6, UTAH STATE 1
At Fertitta Tennis Complex, Las Vegas
1. #46 Eilliot Wronski/Barlocchi (UNLV) def. Asplund/Bryan Marchant (USU) 9-7
2. Miller/Burrows (UNLV) def. Thatcher/Maharaj (USU) 8-3
3. Banks/Barlow (USU) def. Mehdi Bouras/Attila Toth (UNLV) 8-5
1. Mehdi Bouras (UNLV) def. Jakob Asplund (USU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Luca Barlocchi (UNLV) def. Amit Maharaj (USU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Bryan Marchant (USU) def. Wesley Burrows (UNLV) 7-5, 6-4
4. Bryan Miller (UNLV) def. Mike Banks (USU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Nikolaj Wulff (UNLV) def. Alex Thatcher (USU) 6-7, 6-2, 1-0
6. Attila Toth (UNLV) def. Jordan Barlow (USU) 6-4, 6-1