Rebound Was In The Cards
UNLV matches last season's win total with 5-2 victory over Ball State.
March 12, 2009
LAS VEGAS - The 59th-ranked UNLV men's tennis team snapped a three-match losing skid with a 5-2 victory over Ball State on Thursday at the Fertitta Tennis Complex.
With the victory, the Rebels have already matched their win total from a year ago by improving to 10-5.
The hosts opened the afternoon by taking two of three doubles matches for one team point. Winning for UNLV was Elliot Wronski and Luca Barlocchi at No.1 and Bryan Miller and Wesley Burrows on court three.
In singles play, Wronski swept Jose Perdomo at the top spot, 7-6, 6-3; Barlocchi downed Jorge Rodriguez 6-2, 6-2 at No. 3; Burrows downed Andres Monroy 6-3, 6-1 at No. 5 and Attila Toth won 6-4, 6-4 over Cliff Morrison on court six.
"Ball State, as always, is a well-coached team that is a tough opponent," said UNLV head coach Owen Hambrook. "We managed to pull out the doubles point and that really helped us with momentum in singles."
UNLV now heads to San Diego to take on Texas Tech in a neutral-site match on Saturday.
UNLV MEN'S TENNIS RESULTS
#59 UNLV 5, BALL STATE 2
At Fertitta Tennis Complex, Las Vegas
DOUBLES -- (UNLV EARNS ONE TEAM POINT)
SINGLES -- (UNLV EARNS FOUR TEAM POINTS)
1. Elliot Wronski (UNLV) def. Jose Perdomo (BSU) 7-6, 6-3
2. Eduardo Pavia (BSU) def. Mehdi Bouras (UNLV) 7-5, 3-6, 1-0 (10-8)
3. Luca Barlocchi (UNLV) def. Jorge Rodriguez (BSU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Wesley Burrows (UNLV) def. Andres Monroy (BSU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Attila Toth (UNLV) def. Cliff Morrison (BSU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Shawn Bussert (BSU) def. Nikolaj Wulff (UNLV) 6-1, 6-2
1. Wronski/Barlocchi (UNLV) def. Pavia/Rodriguez (BSU) 8-5
2. Perdomo/Smith (BSU) def. Bouras /Toth (UNLV) 8-3
3. Miller/Burrows (UNLV) def. Monroy/Bussert (BSU) 8-6