Rebels Do In Dons
Undefeated netters blank No. 68 San Francisco.
Jan. 30, 2009
LAS VEGAS - The UNLV men's tennis team earned its first ranked victory of the season with an impressive 7-0 win over No. 68 San Francisco at the Fertitta Tennis Complex on Friday.
The Rebels improved to 3-0 while the Dons slipped to 0-3 on the young season.
The hosts opened the morning by taking all three doubles matches for one team point. Elliot Wronski and Luca Barlocchi won 8-3 at the top position, Mehdi Bouras and Wesley Burrows outlasted their opponents 8-7 in a tiebreaker at No. 2 and Bryan Miller and Attila Toth won 8-2 on court three.
In singles play, UNLV quickly clinched the victory with four straight-set wins. Bouras won 6-2, 6-4 at No. 2, Barlocchi won 6-3, 6-0 at No. 3, Burrows won 6-2, 6-4 at No. 4 and Toth emerged 6-2, 6-2 on court five. The remaining two matches moved to a third-set super-tiebreaker. Wronski finished off Thong Tu 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-5) at the No. 1 spot and Miller prevailed 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-3) at No. 6.
"Overall, this was a good day for us," said UNLV head coach Owen Hambrook. "I'm real proud of the guys for finishing strong even after the outcome was decided. Now we have to prepare for a very good Nebraska team."
UNLV returns to the courts on Sunday when it takes on the No. 75 Cornhuskers starting with doubles at 10 a.m. Admission is free of charge.
UNLV MEN'S TENNIS RESULTS
UNLV 7, #68 SAN FRANCISCO 0
At Fertitta Tennis Complex, Las Vegas
DOUBLES -- (UNLV EARNS ONE TEAM POINT)
1. Wronski/Barlocchi (UNLV) def. Cohen/Michael Carreno (USF) 8-3
2. Bouras/Borrows (UNLV) def. Tu/Nachbauer (USF) 8-7 (7)
3. Miller/Toth (UNLV) def. Ching/Hartwig (USF) 8-2
SINGLES -- (UNLV EARNS SIX TEAM POINTS)
1. Elliot Wronski (UNLV) def. Thong Tu (USF) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-5)
2. Mehdi Bouras (UNLV) def. Rainer Nachbauer (USF) 6-2, 6-4
3. Luca Barlocchi (UNLV) def. Asaf Cohen (USF) 6-3, 6-0
4. Wesley Burrows (UNLV) def. Mitch Del Rosario (USF) 6-2, 6-4
5. Attila Toth (UNLV) def. Einar Hart (USF) 6-2, 6-2
6. Bryan Miller (UNLV