A Super Sunday For Rebs
UNLV downs Huskers to remain undefeated in 2009.
Feb. 1, 2009
LAS VEGAS - The UNLV men's tennis team won its second straight match over a ranked opponent on Sunday, 4-3 over No. 75 Nebraska at the Fertitta Tennis Complex.
The Rebels improved to 4-0 while the Cornhuskers fell to 1-1.
The visitors took a 1-0 lead after winning two of three doubles matches to start the morning. The Rebels fell at spots 2-3 but did get a big upset victory at the top of the lineup. Elliot Wronski and Luca Barlocchi improved to 8-1 this season by getting past the nation's 17th-ranked duo, David Bendheim and Calin Paar, 8-5.
UNLV rebounded in singles play. Wronski, ranked 111th, won his seventh straight match, 6-4, 7-5 over No. 74 Bendheim, to improve to 8-4 as a senior. Also winning in straight sets was Barlocchi, 6-4, 6-3 at No. 3 and Atilla Toth, 6-3, 6-4 at No. 5.
After the Huskers picked up victories on courts two and six, the match was tied 3-3. The other Rebel senior, Wesley Burrows, finally ended it with a 4-6, 6-2, 6-0 victory at the No. 4 position.
"This was a tough match against a good, well-coached team that will be ranked a lot higher this season," said UNLV head coach Owen Hambrook. "I'm especially proud of how the guys bounced back after losing the doubles point. The veterans really came through today along with one of our freshmen (Toth)."
Next up, the Rebel netters host Cal Poly on Friday starting with doubles at 10 a.m. Admission is free of charge.
UNLV MEN'S TENNIS RESULTS
UNLV 4, #75 NEBRASKA 3
At Fertitta Tennis Complex, Las Vegas
DOUBLES -- (NEB EARNS ONE TEAM POINT)
SINGLES -- (UNLV EARNS FOUR TEAM POINTS)
1. #111 Elliot Wronski (UNLV) def. #74 Dave Bendheim (NEB) 6-4, 7-5
2. Calin Paar (NEB) def. Mehdi Bouras (UNLV) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. Luca Barlocchi (UNLV) def. Christopher Aumueller (NEB) 6-4, 6-3
4. Wesley Burrows (UNLV) def. Hendrik Stahmer (NEB) 4-6, 6-2, 6-0
5. Attila Toth (UNLV) def. Renato Melo (NEB) 6-3, 6-4
6. Benedikt Lindheim (NEB) def. Bryan Miller (UNLV) 6-3, 6-0
1. Wronski/Barlocchi (UNLV) def. #17 Benheim/Paar (NEB) 8-5
2. Aumueller/Lindheim (NEB) def. Bouras/Borrows (UNLV) 8-2
3. Stahmer/Van Impe (NEB) def. Miller/Toth (UNLV) 8-3