No. 71 Wichita State snapped a 16-match conference winning streak for Indiana State on Saturday afternoon when the Shockers defeated the Sycamores, 6-1.
Now victorious in 34 of their last 37 matches, the Shockers worked diligently to put the Sycamores away from the first serve on. Due to Indiana State’s shortened roster, the Shockers benefited from a 2-0 lead to start the afternoon. Although the Sycamores battled for the doubles point, the Shocks hung out to take the crucial point and take a strong lead, 3-0.
The Sycamores were unable to fill a No. 3 doubles match, putting the Shockers only one match away from clinching the doubles point. Indiana State took the No. 2 match when Sofya Lifanova and Anna Morgina defeated Lenore Lazaroiu and Lutfiana Budihart, 8-4. Anna Egorova and Stephanie Dalmacio made the doubles decision in the Shockers favor by knocking off Indiana State’s No. 1 doubles tandem Sarah Meghoufel and Elmine Botes, 9-7.
In singles play, the Shockers were able to win all but one match in straight sets. Budiharto dropped Morgina in the No. 2 spot, 6-4, 6-2. After battling in her first set, Torrie Browning sailed through her second set against Lifanova in the No. 3 match, 7-5, 6-1. At the No. 4 spot, Dalmacio defeated Botes, 6-2, 6-4.
Meghoufel notched the only victory for Indiana State when she held off Egorova, 5-7, 6-3, 10-7, in the No. 1 match. Lazaroiu and Florentina Hanisch each picked up singles victories by default as Indiana State did not have enough on the roster to field No. 5 and No. 6 opponents.
The Shockers (13-4, 3-0) host Bradley on Senior Day on Sunday at 1:30 p.m. at Genesis Health Club. Seniors Anna Egorova and Torrie Browning will be honored in their last match at home.
1. Sarah Meghoufel (INS) def. Anna Egorova (WSU), 5-7, 6-3, 10-7
2. Lutfiana Budiharto (WSU) def. Anna Morgina (INS), 6-4, 6-2
3. Torrie Browning (WSU) def. Sofya Lifanova (INS), 7-5, 6-1
4. Stephanie Dalmacio (WSU) def. Elmine Botes (INS), 6-2, 6-4
5. Lenore Lazaroiu (WSU) by default
6. Florentina Hanisch (WSU) by default
1. Anna Egorova/Stephanie Dalmacio (WSU) def. Sarah Meghoufel/Elmine Botes (INS), 9-7
2. Sofya Lifanova/Anna Morgina (INS) def. Lutfiana Budiharto/Lenore Lazaroiu (WSU), 8-4
3. Florentina Hanisch/Torrie Browning (WSU) by default